Brave Sync not importing data on existing device

Description of the issue:

Brave Sync was setup and successfully syncing.
Phone was showing up in sync chain
Phone had to be factory reset
Re-added phone to sync chain.
History, open tabs, etc did not sync.
Phone shows in sync chain as a new device.

Expected result:

1. If the sync was initiated using phones IMEI, MAC address or serial number (or combination of the above), the sync setup should have recognised the devices match and link the 2 sync chain instances together and import the profile.

or

1. The option to select which sync chain to recover to which device.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Brave Version: 1.49.132
Chromium Version: 111.0.5563.147

Mobile Device details

OnePlus 8 Pro

Why won’t my data Sync on my Android device?

Sync v2 on Android respects the system-wide option “Automatically sync data”, so if you found that Brave Sync v2 does not work on your Android device, you should ensure that system option is in the position on. The location of that option depends on device manufacturer, but you may find it in:

• System settings --> Accounts --> Automatically Sync Data
  • System settings --> Accounts and backup --> Accounts --> Auto Sync Data
  • System settings --> Cloud and accounts --> Accounts --> Auto Sync Data

In order to sync v2 work on Android it is required to turn that option on.

Hi,

This article doesn’t match the issue I’m having.

Also, Brave/Sync2 do not have ‘accounts’ to login to so even if this was the solution, there are no accounts to login to to sync as per info above.

IDAK

1 Like

@IDAK Brave doesn’t keep all those records of your IMEI and all. Sync just will go by your browser itself and the device type. So when you create new profiles or do a reset like you’re mentioning, you’ll end up seeing the same device listed multiple times, one for each profile.

When you did the factory reset of your phone and then added it to the sync chain, it should pull up all the data as long as you have the options selected. Keep in mind that in Sync options, if one of the devices doesn’t have Sync Everything or the particular parts of data you want (like in screenshot below), then you’ll not be able to have it appear.

Did passwords and bookmarks? Are you even aware of what’s supposed to sync and how?

I’m not asking that negatively, but trying to make sure we’re on the same page. For example, History is only typed history for now, though they have recently added Send All History To Brave Sync on Nightly, so that will be changing in the future.

Open tabs usually just show either in History (on desktop) or on Recent Tabs within the hamburger menu on Android. This might be where you’re looking, but I like to ask and clarify rather than assume.

Just like you see here:

Desktop is listed twice, this is because I have Release and Nightly on the same Sync chain.

SM-G950U is same way, that’s my Samsung that has Nightly and Release.

As to iPhone, I need to remove the one. I had cleared data and started with a fresh profile due to an issue I had. I’ll likely remove the older iPhone now as there’s no purpose in having it. But at least it existed to confirm and show you what was saying on that. But in all of it, they’ve always had no issues in data being Synced as I add or remove any of the devices.

Hi,

The sync settings on my phone were set to ‘all on’ a long time before it was factory reset.

After the reset, I installed Brave, added it to the sync chain and all that happened was a ‘new’ device showing in the devices list instead of recovering the existing chain.

Streaming buffer ring

Yeah, guess I’m just trying to get you to confirm that you have it marked like that on the new device. It’s one of those small, simple things that sometimes gets overlooked. So if that theory was right, you would have added new device but forgot to to toggle the options to On for the data you want synced.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.