Brave sync issues

Description of the issue:
I seem to be unable to add devices to my brave sync chain, both on mobile devices and desktop. On iOS, it says sync agent is offline. On Windows, other devices do not seem to show up. On Linux (ubuntu), it is only showing the device itself.

Steps to Reproduce.

1. Create sync code on Brave browser on Windows machine.

2. Copy code to other desktop running Ubuntu.

3. Repeat on iOS browser, both via QR code or pasting password. (Both seem to cause issue).

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

1. On Windows browser, no devices are present on the device list.

2. On Ubuntu browser, only the device itself (ie, the machine running Ubuntu) shows up in device list.

3. On iOS browser, one of the following occurs when attempting to sync, either via copy-paste or QR code.

• Sync “hangs” indefinitely. With either pasting text or a QR code, the app seems to “hang” with a loading pinwheel

• Error message: “Sync agent is offline” is thrown.

Reproduces how often:

This has been occurring with every attempt, after restarting applications and devices, for two days. I have not been able to set up sync.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

• iOS verison 12.6: version 1.27.1 (21.6.22.16)

• Windows 10: Version 1.26.74 Chromium: 91.0.4472.124

• Ubuntu 20.04: Version 1.26.74 Chromium: 91.0.4472.124

@omaximov,
Can you please try removing all devices from all Sync chains and starting this process from scratch? I would recommend starting a new Sync chain on your Windows machine and then trying to add the Linux machine to the same sync chain first. Don’t attempt the iOS device until you can successfully sync the first two.

When you go to Sync the Linux machine, make sure you select I have a Sync code rather than starting a new chain.

I left the sync chain on my linux machine (did not need to leave it on iphone, as it was never on the chain to begin with). However, I was not able to leave the chain on the Windows machine. I wonder if this has to do with the fact that it was installed without administrator privileges? I installed it that way because it’s my work computer, and I don’t have admin privileges on it.

In any case, from a personal Windows device, I was able to spin up a new sync chain, and add both the linux machine and my iphone to it. Notably, brave on iOS threw an error that it couldn’t connect to the sync service, but it seemed to go through anyhow (I can see the sync settings and other device list on my phone), but that doesn’t seem to be a problem.

The work Windows machine is on its own chain-- the original one. This is not a huge deal for now, though.

EDIT:

Thanks for the swift response!

1 Like

You’re very welcome – I’m glad you were able to get it set up. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

I have no idea how sync works because the instructions keep telling me to look for things which don’t exist in Brave–>Settings or in my brave browser on my device under settings. If I go to Sync under settings all it shows me is what device is in the chain and an option to add a device. I see no options to put in a sync code. At this moment it’s taken me over 30 minutes and is genuinely frustrating because what Brave states does not appear to exist under Brave–> Settings

@tomwilson,
Please open your own thread here on Community and we’ll be happy to help.