Brave Sync for iOS

Thanks @chriscat - I got in touch with @michal on GitHub :wink:

Great news though - looking forward to it!!!

1 Like

Sorry but this synchronization for iOS arrives or not? I was switching from Chrome to Brave on all my devices but maybe I do well to stay with Chrome.

1 Like

Hi,

New to the browser! Love it!

Really looking forward to this feature.

If it takes time, really considering switching to Android if it comes to that :wink:

All the best!

1 Like

I just started using Brave on my MacBook Pro and was trying to sync and realized after searching its not available yet for iOS devices. I have moved to using Brave on my iPad Pro, iPhone XS Max and MBP, but I have to keep going back to Safari since that is where my bookmarks are located.

Security is great, speed is great, sync, is coming . . . hopefully soon.

4 Likes

Any news on the new timeline @michal?

Very much looking forwards to this one!!

1 Like

Nothing yet, testes found bunch of new bugs which can be seen here https://github.com/brave/brave-ios/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Async

nothing major in my opinion, we are preparing to submit a second beta build to testers with fixes to some of the reported issues

1 Like

Crikey, I just became a Brave user (on PC, Android, and iOS), discovered sync missing from the iOS version, googled itā€™s absence, and ended up here in this marathon of a wait for a pretty darn basic feature in any web browser released this century.

Okay, I guess I wait with everyone else :smiley: Hopefully not quite so long as the rest of you! Heh.

1 Like

Is this the initial round of sync? Looking at it, it looks like itā€™s all primarily bookmark related?

Is ā€œPasswordsā€ included or is that going to be in a second round?

1 Like

I heard about syncing tabs and history afterwards

1 Like

hey looking forward to the sync function! I am not using it only because of thatā€¦ so for the moment staying on Chrome

1 Like

So:
First: Bookmarks
Second: Tabs and/or history
Third: Tabs and/or history
Fourth: Passwords

I assume the later sets of sync development for the above features will go a little quicker, as most issues will have been resolved as part of syncing bookmarks?

1 Like

There are still intermittent problems with sync, look at android and desktop threads with regards to sync. These are hard to track as they canā€™t be always reproduced.
I would prefer to first polish the reliability issues then proceed to adding more stuff to it, but it is a product managerā€™s decision afterwards

3 Likes

Couldnā€™t agree more - a working feature is better than just delivering a feature because people are shouting :wink:

2 Likes

@michal I see Brave was updated over the weekend :grin: and it looks like some sync features were included which is great news!!!

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, Sync should be live now :slight_smile:
Thank you all for your patience. Thereā€™s still few bugs here and there, but at least you should be able to sync your bookmarks now.

If you have not received a prompt to update to 1.9 yet, you need to go to the app store and update manually.

2 Likes

I see that you just enable the Sync function in the iOS app what I was so disappointed to see that the Sync is only for bookmarks, and I cannot see the opened Tabs (and history) from my other devices!!
This is a key sync function i am using in the Chrome appā€¦ unfortunately until Brave do not have this functionality I will stay with Chrome.
Please tell me that I have not seen some menu where I can find the sync of opened tabs cross devices or that will come very soon!
cheers

1 Like

What??? Only Bookmarks? Christ.

You would need patience of a saint :innocent:

In theory, now that sync is there for bookmarks, the next set of sprints should be faster for the other areas that need syncing, as the framework/code-base is likely now 95% of the way there!

@michal - is that correct? As I mentioned here and you mentioned here?

3 Likes

Yeah, other sync items should be faster to ship.
Unlike Chrome, our sync implementation is fully end to end encrypted, this makes it a more challenging task

5 Likes