Brave Sync for iOS

Hi @straddle, the team is still working on it. Thanks for your patience. :slightly_smiling_face:

Youā€™ve been ā€œworking on itā€ for years. Here we are in 2019 and Iā€™m manually syncing bookmarks ā€“ itā€™s laughable.

Do you have an ETA or not?

At has been a while now :confused: not to be impatient but an ETA would be nice.

My thoughts, exactly. One would think they have a roadmap, right?

WHEN WILL YOU FIX SYNC?

@ron_jeremy @sofa, Brave for iOS is migrated from UIWebView to WKWebView. So the team is working on other things too. Apologies itā€™s take too long.

Iā€™ve no ETA. But in case you wondering, you can follow the progress here https://github.com/brave/brave-ios/labels/sync

The team is actively working on it. Appreciate your patience. :slightly_smiling_face:

If you donā€™t even have an estimated time to release then thatā€™s all I need to know. I can only interpret that as ā€œ2020 maybeā€, but will have to move on.

Damn, Brave seemed like the answer. I was just in the process of migrating all my user/client profiles from Chrome to Brave, and only now realised there is no sync for iOS.

I canā€™t fully commit until thatā€™s up and running. Back to Chrome for now, but I will check in on Brave again over the next year. Keep up the good work.

+1 I canā€™t take this browser seriously at this point in time. Thereā€™s simply no excuse ā€“ none ā€“ for offering a multi platform browser in 2019 but not having sync capability.

root@localhost: what-were-they-thinking
1 Like

@ron_jeremy why donā€™t you contribute instead of sitting there and complain? and thatā€™s not even how you use a command.

1 Like

@ron_jeremy you do not have any technical knowledge so Iā€™m not sure why youā€™re complaining. There is Sync on Android because it also uses Chromium, itā€™s easier to port. iOS does not use Chromium, it takes time.

Use your head before you complain.

And also @eljuno just works on the community forum why are you complaining to him about development?

I agree, this is the worst browser due to no sync - how much time do yo need? I was going to recommend Brave to all my clients but have now decided to remove every trace of it.

I will also be posting in The Verge to make sure people understand there is no sync for ios devices.

1 Like

canā€™t believe you, @ron_jeremy made a new account just to say that lol

You are so wrong, believe it or not but some of us actually have our own opinions.

I have been using Brave for quite a while but finally got sick & tired of not having sync. I think the many missed release deadlines for sync is just the developerā€™s way of saying ā€œit ainā€™t happening ā€œ, so Iā€™ve moved on.

1 Like

Sync has been released on Android and desktop; iOS is coming next. (This is for bookmarks, as of March 5, 2019.) @ron_jeremy

Believe it when I see it.

Hey @chriscat / @anon1255531 - thanks for the updates, but is there an actual timeline for iOS sync release? Either a fixed version number, or a date deadline?

Iā€™m new to Brave as of yesterday, and Iā€™m hoping that the iOS sync feature is coming sooner rather than later (as some people are implying here) as thatā€™s the only feature holding me back from going all in and getting rid of Chrome! Tab sync, bookmark sync and password sync are essential for me and my work.

Iā€™m sure it will come - looking at the last years worth of Brave development alone shows things are constantly moving and that there has been development effort (albeit overruled by refactoring core) - however,I think there are a good chunk of people that are disappointed it is not yet here, especially given the iOS market share (over 50% in NA / 24% worldwide) and promises it is on its way (looks like for around 2 years now based solely on this thread).

I look forward to syncing my devices :grin:

Hello, the official deadline was to ship it around end of February but weā€™ve got some delays unfortunately.

The plan now is to land Sync in Brave 1.9. There are two major features coming to 1.9:

1. Sync
  2. Additional regional adblocking filters

Sync is a priority now for us, we are currently preparing a new build for QA to test.
QA already did like two rounds of testing it so I hope thereā€™s not much more bugs left to be found.

I have personally tested iOS-iOS bookmark sync on my development builds and for me it is in a good shape.

First release of Sync will be labeled as beta(same as on desktop and Android)

To sum it up:
Most of development work is done, we are waiting for QA to test it, especially iOS-Android and iOS-desktop interactions.

8 Likes

Perfect timing too! I just switched to brave yesterday and was very sad to see that this article dates back to 2017. Looking forward to completely switching! Iā€™ve already converted 4 people are work. Keep up the good work.

5 Likes

Yes, kindly see:

@voucher