Brave stops loading the first page opened after starting it

Description of the issue:
I noticed that some navigations were ignored and decided to investigate further because it is annoying to have the browser ignore actions and have to re-do it.

This happens when starting the first window of the browser and when no Brave processes are running (can’t have background apps keeping it running, for example). I noticed that just by opening the first window and waiting a few seconds, Brave appears to “refresh” the New Tab page. Here in my setup, it happens around 3 seconds after starting Brave, but it might be different in other machines due to hardware spec differences.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Make sure no brave processes are running on the computer.
  2. Start Brave by opening a new window.
  3. Wait for the New Tab page to reload automatically. It always happens when opening Brave when no other Brave process is running.
    Take note of how long you had to wait for the refresh, you will have to time your page navigation with this reload to reproduce the issue. Here in my machine, it takes 2 to 3 seconds.
    Tip: If you use the pictures feature in the New Tab page, you can see it also changes when this reload happens.
  4. Close Brave and make sure all processes are gone.
  5. Open it again, and just before the reload happens, navigate to some page. Could be clicking a bookmark or the one you typed while waiting.
  6. If the timing is correct, the “refresh” of the Brave Browser will happen while the page is still loading. When this happens the URL bar will be empty and the page will still be at the New Tab.

Expected result:
I would expect the page navigation to happen no matter what. Even if Brave does indeed need to refresh something. This issue does not seem to happen on Chrome.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.62.153 Chromium: 121.0.6167.85 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
I’m on Ubuntu 22.04.
Here are the things I tried:

• Disabling hardware acceleration
  • Using about:blank as the initial page. Doesn’t show the reloading, but also cancels the navigation when timing it the same way I described with the New Tab.
  • Using the New Tab page, but configuring it to have everything off (wallpapers, clock, stats, etc.)