Brave Stealing Focus on WebSite Notification/Pop-Up

When I’m logged into my bank’s website, and my session is about to timeout, they issue a pop-up notification in the same window letting me know. This action causes Brave Browser to come out of the background and become front and center, stealing focus from what I was working on. I can easily reproduce this by letting my session timeout while logged in to their website. I can’t find where to set this “feature” to disabled. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.35.100 Chromium: 98.0.4758.87 (Official Build) (arm64)

1 Like

fieroscotty,

The bank’s purpose in throwing the pop-up notification about your session timing out, is probably designed to steal your focus?

If you wrote about the issue - to the bank - would they not say that? And, advise you to “simply log out” when you intend to be focused elsewhere and wish to not be disturbed?

Meanwhile, you might learn about the Brave Browser Developer Tools >> Network. How to get to those tools and what to see:

Try to find what process, and what server (of the bank, or a 3rd party, assigned to the task of producing that pop-up) . . . are the cause.

You might convince a member of Brave Support (“fanboynz”) to gin up an AdBlock script addition, that would block the specific process . . . and that little script-thing, you would then add in the “Custom Filters” box, at the end of:

brave://adblock/

An example of “fanboynz” work:

Which website is causing the popup?

fieroscotty,

Using Brave Browser, in a New Window, go to:

brave://settings/content/popups

You could block a website (a domain or sub-domain) from issuing pop-ups. But I would still consult with “fanboynz”.

www.efirstbank.com - But I’ve found that it’s doing the same thing in Chrome. Seems to be a Chromium feature on mac.

Thanks for your replies. I have talked to the developers and they are not aware of this functionality I’m seeing. It appears it only happens this way in Chromium browsers on macOS. Windows versions of Chrome/Brave don’t pop forward and steal focus. It seems to be a Chromium “feature” that is annoying.
In Windows Chromium browsers, it’s just a small popup that doesn’t bring the browser window to the front and in focus. Also in WebKit browsers (Safari), it behaves the way I expect, where it doesn’t steal focus.
So it appears this isn’t a Brave Browser issue, but a Chromium on mac issue. I’ll try on my non arm64 mac and see if it behaves the same as well.

I have verified the “undesirable” functionality (pops to front, stealing focus) in:
Chromium Version 98.0.4758.80 (Official Build) (x86_64) - on macOS Monterey 12.1 (Intel)
Chromium Version 98.0.4758.80 (Official Build) (arm64) - on macOS Monterey 12.3 beta (M1)

Works like I expect it - doesn’t steal focus:
Chromium Version 98.4.4758.81 (Official Build) (64-bit) - on Windows 11 (Intel)
Brave Browser Version 1.35.100 Chromium: 98.0.4758.87 (Official Build) (64-bit) - on Windows 11 (Intel)

fieroscotty,

I have not looked . . . but you may find some info (re focus issue) over at macrumors.com.

I just looked at the Brave Browser keyboard shortcuts:

https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032272171-What-keyboard-shortcuts-can-I-use-in-Brave-

And, for Windows OS / Linux OS users, “Switch focus to unfocused dialog (if showing) – F6” . . .

But no such focus switch for Mac OS users.

This may or may not work, try adding the following into brave://adblock, then refresh the efirstbank site. (see if causes any issues also)

||rapid.efirstbank.com^
||active.efirstbank.com^
||swift.efirstbank.com^

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.