Brave Shields missing critical features UBlock has

Brave Shields has some blocking issues (missing features) preventing me from using it.

• No way to access what URLs have been ignored so I can manage them from one place.

• No way to block a root-domain (only sub-domains) which is problematic on bank / bill sites that use tons of sub-domains (this is a hug problem with Brave Shields).

• Xfinity page doesn’t work with Brave Shields on… this site uses lots of sub-domains too & is a good example of why Brave Shields is so problematic vs UBlock Origin.

I’ve been wanting to move over to Brave & use its Ad block but can’t because of the poor oversite in these areas.

No way to access what URLs have been ignored so I can manage them from one place.

Not sure what this means, ignoring what?

No way to block a root-domain (only sub-domains) which is problematic on bank / bill sites that use tons of sub-domains (this is a hug problem with Brave Shields).

Adding ||domain.com^ into brave://adblock will cover all subdomains of *.domain.com

• Xfinity page doesn’t work with Brave Shields on… this site uses lots of sub-domains too & is a good example of why Brave Shields is so problematic vs UBlock Origin.

Which Xfinity page is causing issues?

1 Like

I can’t look at what sites I have blocked in a list like UBlock does. They don’t show up in “brave://adblock” which means Its very hard to manage (where is this internal list stored?). I shouldn’t have to go to the site to unblock it.

That syntax is very verbose when UBlock I can just add the domain normally. There should at least be directions on the format in that page & a link to open that page in the normal settings area.

At this point I can’t remember as I’ve been using Chrome. I should have saved it but pretty sure its when you’re trying to do bill-pay stuff and it gets stuck on one of the pages. If I hit it again when I can use Brave I’ll share.

Shields settings use an internal database, adblock specific filters use standard uBO compatible filters in brave://adblock

uBO has a similar option here, “My filters” Tab is similar to how brave://adblock custom filters are. I can understand we’re not quite as featureful as uBO, but we offer enough to block ads and trackers by default. Any webcompat and ad issues/fixes I can deal with. and push the upstream without needing to touch custom filters in brave://adblock

Yes please, I can get someone with access to take a look.

2 Likes

So expose the DB as a list… thats all I’m suggesting… otherwise how else am I suppose to see what I have un-blocked at a glance. The primary DB is hidden and thats a problem as its not user friendly for such a basic & common thing. Like UBO this primary DB and the custom list should be one and the same. Separating these makes no sense.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.