Brave Shields missing critical features UBlock has

Brave Shields has some blocking issues (missing features) preventing me from using it.

• No way to access what URLs have been ignored so I can manage them from one place.

• No way to block a root-domain (only sub-domains) which is problematic on bank / bill sites that use tons of sub-domains (this is a hug problem with Brave Shields).

• Xfinity page doesn’t work with Brave Shields on… this site uses lots of sub-domains too & is a good example of why Brave Shields is so problematic vs UBlock Origin.

I’ve been wanting to move over to Brave & use its Ad block but can’t because of the poor oversite in these areas.

No way to access what URLs have been ignored so I can manage them from one place.

Not sure what this means, ignoring what?

No way to block a root-domain (only sub-domains) which is problematic on bank / bill sites that use tons of sub-domains (this is a hug problem with Brave Shields).

Adding ||domain.com^ into brave://adblock will cover all subdomains of *.domain.com

• Xfinity page doesn’t work with Brave Shields on… this site uses lots of sub-domains too & is a good example of why Brave Shields is so problematic vs UBlock Origin.

Which Xfinity page is causing issues?

I can’t look at what sites I have blocked in a list like UBlock does. They don’t show up in “brave://adblock” which means Its very hard to manage (where is this internal list stored?). I shouldn’t have to go to the site to unblock it.

That syntax is very verbose when UBlock I can just add the domain normally. There should at least be directions on the format in that page & a link to open that page in the normal settings area.

At this point I can’t remember as I’ve been using Chrome. I should have saved it but pretty sure its when you’re trying to do bill-pay stuff and it gets stuck on one of the pages. If I hit it again when I can use Brave I’ll share.

Shields settings use an internal database, adblock specific filters use standard uBO compatible filters in brave://adblock

uBO has a similar option here, “My filters” Tab is similar to how brave://adblock custom filters are. I can understand we’re not quite as featureful as uBO, but we offer enough to block ads and trackers by default. Any webcompat and ad issues/fixes I can deal with. and push the upstream without needing to touch custom filters in brave://adblock

Yes please, I can get someone with access to take a look.

1 Like

So expose the DB as a list… thats all I’m suggesting… otherwise how else am I suppose to see what I have un-blocked at a glance. The primary DB is hidden and thats a problem as its not user friendly for such a basic & common thing. Like UBO this primary DB and the custom list should be one and the same. Separating these makes no sense.