Brave shields blocking essential Qwik fetch-requests

When trying out Qwik framework in their playground, they often break because of failed requests that get fixed when disabling brave shields.

This issue shows up while “Block trackers & ads” setting is on.

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off? - Yes

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no): yes, turning off ad&tracker blocker fixes the page load

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome? Yes, works on edge and firefox too.

Since Qwik is a fairly new framework, it has potential and since these tracker blockers block essential functionality, it can break sites.

Brave version (check About Brave): v1.47.171 (Jan 12, 2023)

Well, the fix is to disable the shields, just like you say in your comment, it works in other browsers, that’s because they don’t have shields like Brave do.

But I only see two elements being blocked (xhr) (script)

So if the problem is in the first one, you can always do a custom rule to unblock the first one and just block the googletagmanager.
But, it is still a ‘track’, so what are you going to gain by not disabling shields? not much.

But if you want to whitelist it @@||^$xhr,

Looking closer at the requests it could very well be just the playground site having this issue. I got a bit worried that the blocked requests would be essential for the site to work, but it seems like it’s just an unhandled error-case on their end. They sure look like trackers so blocking them should be fine.
I should probably have investigated a bit further since this seems to be a non-issue for shields.
Thanks for the whitelist, I’ll probably use that for the time being!

If anything, you can always open Devtools and check console (can be done after the problem) and network tab (has to be opened before), it might tell you it was a connection error or something missing or failing.
But I even used uBlock and uBlock only applied 2 rules to the page, no cosmetics or scriptlets injections (which might break the site).

Also, sometimes fingerprinting protection can break things, so it might not be Adblocker but the fingerprinting protection that can cause issues, but it is really rare when Protection is on Standard, it is usually the strict one that causes issues.

Just to make sure, because I didn’t really test it, just opened, browsed around, and everything seemed to work fine and quickly checked Adblocker(s) to see if anything was causing issues/conflicts.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.