Brave shield Global settings resets!

Description of the issue: I always use Brave shields in extreme settings (Aggressive and strict) to eradicate the Ads and Fingerprints in the connected webpages. Recently I noticed a strange behavior with the shield. Whenever I try to browse the Webpages, it shows the embedded ads in it. So I checked the brave shield to confirm the settings. Surprisingly it configured for standard block even though I changed the Global settings to act strict to the respective fields. I tried so many time to revert it back, But it only works for a specific period of time! It resets always…

Brave Version: 1.23.75 Chromium: 90.0.4430.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information: Windows 10, OS Version 2009 (Build 19042.906)

Hello @TRILOK

go to brave://settings/clearBrowserData and make sure that on exit you did not check site and shield setting

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Does that affect my rewards data? And thanks for the reply pal! :slightly_smiling_face:

No, that doesn’t affect your rewards.

1 Like

An alternate code to clear the browsing history and stuff! Lol… :joy: Tried that too! it’s not resolved by that way.

My bad! Didn’t realized those codes at first glance. :grimacing:

do you mean that your global shield setting reset to standard after restart ?

Yes! It’s like when you notice embedded ads in pages (Which is not there in regular usage with strict behavior) and when you click on the shield icon it’s says ad blocking set to standard even though the global settings configured to extreme level. I did not setup any individual exceptions/rules for any web pages to opt out ! These kinda anomalies started after the final update of the public version.

not sure if that the case or not

the global setting are set for sites that does not already has shield setting

to make sure could you create new profile then set the gloabl shield setting to whatever you like
then go to the site you like and see if it work fine or not then close brave then open it again and make sure to open that new profile and check your site again and see if it work fine or not?

Sure, will try this! Dunno if it’s a profile thing. Bcoz if it’s a profile related problem, it should be there before!

could the old profile get corrupted some how but i am not sure

Well It’s not solved by this method. A big headache to me now, dunno what to do… Quite a mess! @Mattches Take a look at this if you have some time to spare man.

If you are still not clear about the issue take a look at this issue raised in the GitHub. It describes all!

i got it but for me the only thing that make it behave like that is by using this setting

so let me ask @Mattches from the team if he have other idea about that

1 Like

@TRILOK,
Sorry for the late reply. I’d like to triple confirm that when you created a new profile, did you run the test that @justsomeone1 suggested here in the new profile when it was fresh (no browsing data stored in it yet, no extensions installed, original profile window was closed, etc)?

2 Likes

I ran a couple of tests yesterday. Surprisingly the behavior of shield in test profiles was stable at most of the times (Rewards toggled to offline). But my question is why shield failing to stabilize in my main profile? I mean it’s new to my experience so far. May be it’s due to the rewards? Don’t know… Also i need my Main profile @Mattches bcoz it does have a lot of personal settings and Data. If you want any further data to dig deeper, do let me know.

1 Like

@TRILOK,
Do you have extensions installed in your main profile? Can you please try:

  1. Disabling all extensions on your main profile and see if the problem persists
  2. Clearing cache/data in the browser (probably for all time) and see if this resolves the issue. Note that you do not need to clear information like Login data (passwords) or browsing history.

I tested the second one multiple times (Excluding the login credentials and choosing all time) and it fails to solve the problem. But i will try the first one to check whether the extensions conflicts with the shield’s behavior. It may takes much time to figure it out which one is the real culprit causing this, because I use a good amount of extensions along with Brave (No new extensions installed and works fine with the previous builds). Thanks @Mattches , i will update the details later.

@TRILOK,
If you disable them all at once you should be able to quickly tell whether or not any of them are causing the issue or if it’s something else entirely.

@Mattches sorry for the late reply man! It doesn’t solved the issue. I will brief the setup below…

  1. Disabled all extensions
  2. Cleared the history too (Except the logins)
  3. Again toggled to extreme settings in global shield configuration
  4. Closed the browser via toast menu
  5. Reopened and checked the global shield settings - They are in standard settings! :expressionless:

My life in a glance! :joy: :joy:

1 Like