Brave settings no longer in AppData?

I’m really confused. I just restored my computer and installed brave latest version
I copied the entire appdata folder before the wipe and went back to my new appdata folder to copy over brave files and I am really confused because:
Expected result:

1. I didn’t see a current brave folder under …appdata/roaming
  2. When I copied over the brave folder I had backed up and then performed a ‘restore from old version’, all I got was my bookmarks from a very long time ago, not my bookmarks and passwords before the wipe. I’m assuming this was the brave data from a folder when it was still based on firefox’s engine.

so what is going on? Where does Brave store these settings now? or did I make some sort of mistake?

steps to reproduce

1. requires a pre-installed brave browser version. I’m not sure which version was mine. I had the old firefox-based version but had installed the chromium version since the beginning of the year. Windows 8.1
  2. go to c:\users*user*\AppData\roaming\brave and copy folder to a secure location
  3. reinstall windows OS. or at least uninstall Brave and all associated files.
  4. reinstall brave
  5. copy brave folder back to original location
  6. go to brave>menu>import bookmarks and settings>brave(old)
    7… accept your doom

Brave Version( check About Brave):
(Version 0.68.138 Chromium: 77.0.3865.75 (Official Build) (64-bit))
Additional Information:

%localappdata%
C:\Users\*'user*\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware

2 Likes

As @Dgenies mentioned the browser profile is under Local appdata. The data folder that you have copied is from older muon browser which is under roaming appdata.

1 Like

Thanks! I found the folder just as you said. C:\Users*’ user *\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware
Ran into another problem though
I tried a manual restore by just slipping my original folder in place of the current folder. That has worked in the past for most browsers and applications but it failed for Brave; it reset all my settings to default instead, bookmarks and passwords included.

Is there are way to import these book marks and settings if it is not the older muon browser?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.