Brave seems like a great but crippled browser

Brave seems fast and the built in ad blocking is nice. However, all third party extensions that an individual would need to use for work such as webex, bluejeans, grammarly, salesforce and many, many, many other extensions are simply not available.

I dint mean to rant, but, Brave seems closer to Microsoft Edge rather than an open source browser based on the Chromium project.

If anything, why not just have a toggle that allows individuals to side load extensions offline? I understand security. I understand what Brave is doing. I get it, I truly do. But what good is a web browser is 99% of the tools you use don’t work with it?

Sorry if this seems like a rant, and I am sure many others have posted the same. I just don’t want to see this browser meet its fiery death because it was too closed of an ecosystem.

We have a comprehensive list of extensions that are being added based on request. Some are already available and many are in work. You can check the progress here

Also we do have a wiki entry for power users to load extensions on their dev setup.

Please feel free to request for desired extension support which is not available on the list.

Hope this helps.

I understand I can request such, but why not enable the option for us competent people to make our own decisions when it comes to installing extensions? Does Brave in some manner handle extensions different than other Chromium based browsers?

I agree, of the browsers based on chromium, it seems like the brave browser is one of the most difficult when it comes to adding extensions. I think maybe it would be a better idea to just allow us to install extensions but have a disclaimer that says that you guys will only support the extensions already included with the browser (like PDF Viewer). That way the pressure of adding features is not always on the devs. Especially since not everyone such as myself is a poweruser with extensive knowledge on github…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.