Brave Search endlessly refreshing?

Description of the issue:
Brave Search doesn’t work, it just loops endlessly like it’s refreshing over and over and over. It works fine on Brave Beta, on the latest Firefox, just not on the latest stable Brave. DuckDuckGo and Google are also fine on normal Brave. It’s completely unusable because nothing ever loads.

Oh and half the time it keeps asking me if I’m a bot, presumably because I’m using a VPN (like I always do and always have done every time I try to search which is bloody annoying.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Search for something on Brave Search using Brave Browser 1.45.127

Expected result:

I get search results

Actual result:

Brave Search endlessly loops as if I was spamming CMD + R.

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:

Whenever I search via Brave Search on Brave 1.45.127 on Mac OS it just ends up in an endless spammed refresh loop. The loading favicon just goes one way and then ext next

Hi @swarming Do you have extensions that you have on release that are different from Brave Beta. It’s surprising that it’s working fine in Brave Beta but not in Release channel for you.

1 Like

Any chance we can get a screen recording of what you’re seeing? I’d start with extensions first though.

Cracked it thanks to your help! I disabled all addons on the standard Brave release and re-enabled one by one to narrow down which could have been causing the problem. I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me to try it before I posted – sorry!

It’s “Night Mode – Dark Eye”, this one: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-mode-night-eye/alncdjedloppbablonallfbkeiknmkdi

Disabling that sorted the whole problem. My guess is that the addon was interfacing in some weird way with Brave Search’s attempt to default to my system’s dark mode, and sending it into an endless loop where each tried to fix the other over and over and over again. But I’m not a programmer haha, just seems likely to be the answer.

Thanks mate, got it working. Big, big fan of Brave Search in particular.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.