Brave rewards verification with custodial partner (Uphold/Gemini)

I am an Australian resident and have all the necessary documents showing that I am a resident of Australia but I am not a citizen. This means that I am a taxpayer in Australia. I checked that Australia is supported for Brave Rewards Verification. However, when opening an account on either Uphold or Gemini and selecting Australia as my country of residence, I am unable to link it to Brave. I have contacted Uphold to ask why this is not working and they are unable to resolve it for me saying that Brave has to assist me on this.

**What Operating System and Brave version are you using - V1.45.118 on MacOS

Is your browser wallet currently verified? (no)

Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past? (Yes)

Are you using a VPN? (no)

**Are you in a supported region (yes)

Have you fully completed Uphold’s CDD requirements? (yes)

Just want to make sure we’re on the same page. Photo ID you submitted, such as your passport, was that also from Australia or was it for another country?

Asking because we’ve had a lot of people speak as you are on this but we find out they only submitted their residential information but submitted ID from another country. That mismatch, especially if country their ID/passport was from is from a country that is not supported.

Hi, the photo ID I submitted is from another country. I have however proof that I am a resident in Australia.

That doesn’t matter. It goes by KYC/AML, which in part is the ID you submit. If that doesn’t match the country you’re reporting, then the API won’t accept it and you won’t be able to verify.

Uphold will be content with the information, but Brave isn’t.

I see what you mean but isn’t that counterintuitive in a world where people move around countries for work? Is there any workaround for this?

Negative. I mean, if you’re living in Australia and even a “taxpayer” as you say, then you should have some form of government ID with them. This can be a Driver’s License, National ID Card, Passport, or anything of that sort. Even if you don’t yet have one, you can go get one.

For example,

Doesn’t matter where in Australia, they will provide you a photo identification card.

Documents you would provide would be something like 2-3 documents, such as:

  1. Australian or foreign passport (so your passport from original country)

  2. Debit or credit card—must include signature and embossed or printed name.

    • Account statement, passbook or letter up to 12 months old (issued by a bank, building society, or credit union), which must include:
  • your family name and first given name in full
  • the account number or account type
  • the financial institute letterhead or financial institute branch stamp
    • Telephone, gas or electricity bill up to 12 months old

I’m assuming you’re saying you’d have all of those to verify your identity.

Yep, because people working should have valid ID. Things like work visas often now are government ID with photos on them. Also as I shared above, it’s not difficult at all to get ID from a country if you’re truly living there. You’re only as valid as the official government documentation you can provide.

And sometimes, it’s even easier than I mentioned. For example, you can move your license over, as you see discussed at:

Thank you very much for providing these information about obtaining the photo ID. I am wondering if a digital ID such as from Australia Post can be used?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.