I view hundreds of ads per month and I am getting paid out pennies.
As stated by the Brave website:
Earn Basic Attention Tokens (BAT) for every ad viewed.
We put you first, and that means you’re included in the deal. When you view Brave Ads, you receive 70% of the ad revenue. Brave encourages you to pass this on to your favorite web content creators.
I should be recieving 70% of the revenue for the ads. If I am viewing hundreds of ads per month how am I only getting paid out $2.00?
I have attached a screenshot that shows an example of what I am talking about. I have already viewed 49 ads in January, yet my expected pay out is only $0.30. That would mean the ad revenue for 49 ads is $0.43. This means that ads being shown by brave cost less than 1 cent per ad.
I don’t think I have been paid out the proper rewards for several months now.
The title to this thread is fairly misleading. The issue you seem to be having is the amount you’re earning in total, not that the “math” is wrong (which is what the title of this thread would lead one to believe).
Just to ensure we do understand the math – yes, Brave does payout 70% of the ad revenue to users. Using your example, ~$0.30 is 70% of $0.43. So there is nothing wrong here.
As for the amount you earn per ad, this fluctuates based on a variety of factors and is not expected to be consistent. We’ve actually addressed this particular questions several times before. Please see the following responses from our VP of Ads and our VP of business:
Your website says that “When “I” view ads, “I” will receive 70% of the ad revenue”. It does not say that Brave pays out 70% of the ad revenue. Those are different things. In your statement all brave would have to do is make sure that 70% of the ad revenue was paid out to users. It would not matter if I got less than 70% and someone else got more.
I should be receiving 70% of the ad revenue from the ads I see.
There is no way that Brave earns less than 1 cent per ad. Fix it!
Your payout is based on your participation. The ads you view have a value (e.g. 0.01 or 0.005 BAT per impression). If the ad impression is valued at 0.01 BAT, that is 70% of the ad-value. The other 30% is roughly 0.0043 BAT, and goes to Brave.
Let’s assume 0.01 BAT is the reward for an ad impression. That would suggest a total value of 0.0143 BAT per impression. One thousand impressions would be about 14.29 BAT. The USD value of this amount is a different topic entirely, given volatility of markets.
CoinMarketCap shows the current 7-day high of BAT being about $1.36 USD, with a current low of about $1.05. That would mean the impression value of 0.01 BAT fluctuated between $0.01 and $0.0136.
But not all ads are worth 0.01 BAT per impression; many are 0.0025 or 0.005 BAT per impression. For a 0.005 BAT impression, that implies a CPM of about 7.14 BAT (ranging between $7.50 and $9.71 according to the 7-day high/low). An ad-impression coming in under $0.01 USD is entirely reasonable.
Volatility will always play a part in these discussions. If BAT is up (relative to USD), all is well. If BAT starts to dip (as is happening with the markets in general lately), then angst tends to set in. But rest assured, you (specifically, you) are getting 70% of the revenue for your attention and participation. What that means in terms of USD varies.
CPM in BAT
CPM in USD ($1.05 to $1.36)
$15.00 to $19.42
$7.50 to $9.71
$3.75 to $4.86
I’m working on a catalog-viewer which will help you determine potential earnings for various creatives and campaigns in your region. While it’s not yet fully-polished, you can see the work-in-progress at https://sampson.codes/brave/ads/my_region/v2/. You’ll be able to calculate the daily-spend per user of each campaign. For example, campaign 8721e747 from advertiser d24afe64 has a value of 0.005 BAT per impression, with a daily cap of 10 impressions. That means your potential earnings are 0.05 BAT per day (or $0.05 to $0.068 based on the USD value of BAT over the past 7 days), from that campaign alone.