I posted before and it was closed and referred to another website and I don’t understand. I removed the application and I downloaded it again and it still doesn’t work. How do I make it open?
Thanks for reporting @dfsdsafasd.
Just checked your other post. It’s a known issue that Brave is not working for MacOS 10.9.5 users. An issue logged for this here (the same link posted before) https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/12744
GitHub is used by the devs team to track the issues, etc.
And likely, it’ll not be fixed until Brave moved to brave-core, rewrite version that coming this year.
Also, IIRC, you can install the older version that working with 10.9.5, but like other older software, it’ll not have the current Brave fix, etc.
So I can’t use Brave as my secondary browser? How do I make it work with the older version. I can’t update my OS because the laptop hardware isn’t powerful enough. I am very disappointed as I enjoyed this browser as my secondary one and it updated without my consent and broke itself and I have been unable to use it ever since.
@dfsdsafasd, I’m sorry this happened to you. At least, until Brave moved to brave-core, it’ll not working for 10.9.5 users.
- Close Brave if open.
- Navigate to
- Make a copy of your brave folder (you can name it brave-backup)
- Delete Brave.app from your Applications folder.
- You can install older version. Download from here https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/releases/tag/v0.19.134dev (Since you’re on Mac, you may want to download the
- Additionally, you can Lock the app to prevent it from auto-update, IIRC. Like described here
Also cc @LaurenWags in case I forgot any step/s.
As I mentioned in that post, I do recommend browsing with caution as you are on an older version and do not have the latest security updates.
I really liked Brave browser after Julian Assange suggested it, but one fine day the tabs began duplicating themselves. It became un-usable. Now when I check in on it it closes almost immediately everytime. I’ve set up some other browser while I patiently wait for Brave to become usable on my W10 Acer Laptop.
We’re currently moving toward the rewrite of Brave which includes using Chromium’s native UI. We’ve started putting builds out there for users to take a look at the re-write, which you can find here: https://brave.com/download-dev/
You’re welcome to try out the re-write now if you’d like and play around with it a bit - see if you have the same issue. However, there are some things to be aware of:
• it’s still very early and many features are missing (Tor, Sync, functional Brave Payments just to name a few)
• it crashes, more often than we’d all like right now
• some sites have issues with web compatibility
• these are not official dev channel builds however they will be automatically updated as new versions are released
There’s more, but that’s the big stuff that I can think of at the moment. It’s very much “use at your own risk” right now and not really suited to be a daily driver, but it will give you a peek into what’s coming. You may also enjoy this reddit post from our CTO: https://www.reddit.com/r/BATProject/comments/9dkbpi/the_rewrite_of_brave_named_brave_core_is/
If you do decide to try our new version out, please let us know if you find any issues in a new thread, you can write one up here: https://community.brave.com/c/developer-builds