Brave Private Browsing Only on iOS still stores website data

Environment:

iOS 15.7 on iPhone XR, Brave Version 1.42 (22.8.15.22).

Brave menu > Settings > Brave Shields and Privacy > Other Privacy Settings > Private Browsing Only is set to ON.

Behavior:

Website data persists after closing and restarting Brave browser when Private Browsing Only is turned on.

Expected Behavior:

When Private Browsing is on, no website data set during the private browsing session should exist on the device after Brave is closed.

When Private Browsing Only is on, no website data at all should exist on the device after Brave is closed.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Start with a new Brave browser instance, visit Brave menu > Settings > Brave Shields and Privacy > Manage Website Data and ensure website data is cleared. Close and restart Brave browser to verify.

2. Verify Private Browsing is on (color around address bar and iOS status bar is dark blue-purple).

3. Visit a website that sets persistent cookies or other persistent website data (for example, one that requires a login). Log into the website if necessary.

4. Open a new browser tab. Close the original browser tab you used to visit the website.

5. Close the Brave browser entirely (iOS swipe up).

6. Restart the Brave browser.

7. Visit Brave menu > Settings > Brave Shields and Privacy > Manage Website Data. There is website data from the site visited in step (3) above.

1 Like

Try to update Brave, as iPhone is now running on 1.43.

I just tested this and couldn’t replicate it. I’ve asked Mattches to jump in here in case he has any ideas or can replicate.

I tried running on iOS 16 and Brave 1.43. When opening up, I have nothing in that data.

1 Like

This is fixed in 1.43

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.