Muon: 2.57.8
libchromiumcontent: 57.0.2987.133
V8: 5.7.492.71
Node.js: 7.4.0
Update Channel: dev
os.platform: darwin
os.release: 16.5.0
os.arch: x64

Since upgrading to 0.14.1, the performance of Brave has been really sluggish.

• There is a noticeable delay between scrolling the mouse wheel and the screen actually moving.
  • When typing, the whole browser seems to pause, then the characters appear after a delay of a couple of seconds.
  • Screen rendering appears to be significantly slower

AFAIK, nothing else has changed on my machine other than the upgrade.

Chris W

All good now, upgrade to 0.15.0 fixed the performance problems…

I am on 0.15.1 and still having this problem. Are you still trouble free after updating to 0.15.1? It’s most noticeable when scrolling and typing.

It’s especially noticeable on forum sites like this one, where scrolling down causes it to retrieve more content. I thought it was just network latency until I noticed I am only having that problem in Brave.

For me at least, the performance issues I experienced previously have now gone after the 0.15.x upgrade

it’s still sluggish on 15.2

I’ve got 15.2 as well on 3 PCs in my house. I don’t typically have a ton of tabs open. I do have LastPass enabled. But over time my entire PC starts to become very sluggish. I checked task manager this last time and noticed Brave processes were using around 2GB of RAM when you added up all of them. I closed Brave, waited for all the processes to stop, opened it again and it runs fine for awhile. Memory leak maybe?? Not sure but I may have to stop using Brave for awhile and hopefully they can work it out. I’ve never had this problem with Chrome. The PC I’m on now is Windows 64 bit with only 4GB or RAM. But as mentioned, I’ve never had this same issue with other browsers.

I have a similar sluggishness issue.

Interestingly, after I cleared history, Brave was snappy again… for probably a few hours, and then sluggishness again.

Is there any way that we can help diagnose this issue?

Using Brave 0.15+ on macOS Sierra.

I’ve noticed similar sluggishness issues that seem relatively new, within the last 2 updates.

Brave: 0.15.2
rev: af7ef42ad622f899312a38bdd0e2138154393627
Muon: 2.58.9
libchromiumcontent: 58.0.3029.96
V8: 5.8.283.37
Node.js: 7.9.0
os.release: 15.4.0

Symptoms primarily include sluggishness typing in the address bar, sluggishness typing in website forms, slow responsiveness when opening new windows or tabs, and when switching between tabs. I have not had issues with sluggish scrolling as others have reported.

For some Activity Monitor stats as of right now… while having 17 Brave tabs open (15 in one window, 2 in another window), Activity Monitor shows:

• 1 “Brave” process running (387 MB memory usage)
  • 24 “Brave Helper” process running (about 4.2 GB memory usage)

I find it odd that there are more Brave Helper processes than tabs. When I quit Brave and start fresh, things are better for a little while, but within some hours or a day, they get back to being sluggish. Happy to provide any other diagnostics that may be helpful.

Yes same here. I also noticed that clearing history restores performance, but only for a while. I am using 0.15.2 on macOS Sierra.

i tried clearing browser history, and it worked.

I have a an update to this and a possible pattern explanation of why there are so many processes. I closed brave with 9 tabs open, and restarted my computer. I then re-opened brave.

Upon loading the browser, there were 9 Brave Helper processes in Activity Monitor. This matches open tabs. Good.
Note that as of this point in time I’d only clicked on one of those tabs, i.e. the others are loaded in the background but have not actively been accessed since the restart.

I then loaded a new tab, so have 10 tabs now. Processes up to 10. Also good.

I then clicked on one of the already open tabs, which had not yet been clicked on after the restart. I still have 10 tabs open, but now there are 11 processes. Not good.

I repeated this by clicking on another tab which I hadn’t yet opened this session. Another new process spawned. So there are now 10 tabs and 12 processes. Not good.

I repeated it again. Now have 10 tabs and 13 processes. Not good.

Hope this is helpful info.

os.release: 16.5.0

Brave seems to be a little confused on my machine. If I am correct in assuming that one Brave Helper process = one tab, then after clearing my history and having only four tabs open, I restart Brave and it immediately creates 8 Helper processes.

As @gregnyc reported, when I now open a new tab, I get a new Helper process making a total of 9 for only 5 tabs open.

As an experiment, I’ve just closed all the tabs, and this left 5 Helper process visible in Activity Monitor.

I then Force Quit all those helper processes. Brave still seems happy.
Open a new tab using File -> New Tab, and three Helper processes were immediately created.

Something weird is going on here - a process leak of some sort I guess…

UPDATE…

Closed all tabs in Brave, so that only the title bar remains and ensured that all Helper processes were gone (forcibly if necessary)

Quit Brave in the normal way, then restart - and lo and behold, I now have 8 Helper processes…

Not good, really not good.

I’m having the same sluggishness issue on 0.15.2, on two different Windows 10 64-bit machines and two different Fedora 25 64-bit machines. The Fedora machines are a completely clean install. Brave is slow to scroll web pages and enter text, even on web pages that have already finished loading.

Sometimes Brave will load a link as a completely white page with nothing on it, yet mousing over the white page shows tooltips and URL previews like the page elements are actually there, just not loaded. Usually if I wait five minutes or so the page will suddenly appear in full.

I love Brave and hope this is just temporary growing pains and that I’ll be able to use it again soon. Thank you for all of the hard work that goes into this otherwise terrific and open-source browser.

os.platform: win32
os.release: 10.0.14393

Did a fresh restart having fully shut down Brave first. Upon restart, opened Brave with 2 tabs… had 9 processes running in Activity Monitor. Takes about 5 seconds for keystrokes to show up in the address bar…

cleaning browser history works. my browser still fast after my last cleaning (which was a couple of days ago.)

Seconding or thirding “slowness”

Brave	0.15.2
rev	af7ef42
Muon	2.58.9
libchromiumcontent	58.0.3029.96
V8	5.8.283.37
Node.js	7.9.0
Update Channel	dev
os.platform	darwin
os.release	16.6.0
os.arch	x64

The history clearing advice works, for a while.

It seems to be worst on Facebook and Reddit.

FYI, performance seems to have improved with this update - https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/releases/tag/v0.15.310dev

15.3 on Windows 10. Very sluggish, but clearing history does seem to help.

I observe sluggishness in:

• scrolling
  • refreshing a tab
  • opening a new tab
  • connecting to a new site

I would rate the sluggishness as quite obvious. In scrolling, pauses of over a second occur in the updates. On a new tab, entering the URL is delayed such that several characters may be dropped.

browser still sluggish sometimes even on 0.16.9

but using clear browser history seems still works as a temporary fix

I just started using Brave 0.18.16 yesterday and am experiencing all the sluggish behaviors reported previously. Also experiencing some hanging behavior, forcing me to kill Brave. I just cleared History and find that it does greatly improve performance, as others have stated. Not sure how long the improvement will last since I just did it.
Brave 0.18.16
rev 8003c66
Muon 4.3.6
libchromiumcontent 60.0.3112.78
V8 6.0.286.44
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel dev
OS Platform Linux
OS Release 4.4.0-21-generic
OS Architecture x64