Brave opens news links in Apple News

Description of the issue:

Brave shunts me into Apple News when I tap (some?) news-related links, instead of opening them in Brave as I wish.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Tap a link to a news source (presumably one that is accessible via Apple News

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Apple News launches and displays the news story

Expected result:

Brave displays the news story

Reproduces how often:

Every time

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

iOS 14.6 on iPhone 11 Pro; Brave 1.27.1

Additional Information:

Looked at settings both in-browser and in iOS Settings app; didn’t find a way to fix this.

Hey @isocat !

Can you please provide a short video of what you are experiencing? (Although screenshots would be fine as well)

Thank you,

Porridge

I’d love to, but “Sorry, new users can’t upload attachments” . No word on how long before this apparent probation period ends.

I did make the movie for you, though. This time it opened the link in the CBC News app. Same difference; I really want to stay in Brave. And likewise, when I tap a YouTube link, I want to see it in Brave (not in YouTube’s crummy, ad-infested app), without having to long-tap the link, copy it, then paste it into Brave.

1 Like

There is a post threshold where if a new user has post / replied more than once or twice they should be able to do so. Can you try again?

Thank you,

Porridge

1 Like

“Sorry, new users can’t upload attachments”—still/again. Very frustrating; strikes me new users are relatively more likely to be experiencing problems that would warrant screen grabs.

That said, I’m not altogether sure why a vid is so necessary this time; what I need to know is how to make Brave quit using external apps for links.

1 Like

Should be good now :slightly_smiling_face: but I believe I understand what you are experiencing; I was able to replicate it on my own instance of the browser and I got a prompt asking to open a Apple News link in the actual News app.

Looking into how to change this setting.

Porridge

Ah, good, thanks. (Hey, you got a prompt? No fair! I got none; Brave just whisks me off to News or CBC News or YouTube or whatever other app it has wrongly decided I want to use)

There is a way around that for YouTube, you can just long press and choose “open in new tab”. It works, but is still a bit of a hassle, so I just uninstalled the YouTube App

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.