Brave opens, but soon starts "filling" in either commas or semicolons as if I'm pressing the keys

Description of the issue:

I recently upgraded computers from a Mac Mini (2012 - High Sierra) to a late 2015 iMac with Catalina installed. Though slow, Brave opens and works for about 30 minutes, and then it’s as if my keyboard takes over and starts filling in either commas or semicolons as if I’m holding the key down. The only way to stop is to Force Quit. I’ve abandoned Brave because I have work to do. This happened 4 times before I yanked it for Chrome.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

No steps. Just left it open and it started happening. 4 times in two days.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Switched to Chrome as a Result

Expected result:

Normal Brave.

Reproduces how often:

4 times in two days

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Catalina/ and I don’t know the version (although I kept it updated). I’m not restarting it because I can’t do anything on my computer when it’s running.

Additional Information:

I really want my Brave to work

@wrytrzcrmp,
Do (or did) you have any extensions installed in Brave at the time? If so, can you tell me which ones?

ClickUp, Simplify Gmail, Last Pass, and Google Docs offline. And I just opened Brave to find out which extensions. It took a full three minutes to load, and another two minutes to fully render (if that’s the right word). Now (typing this in Chrome) it has slowed the computer to a crawl.

@wrytrzcrmp,
Can you try launching Brave, going to Menu --> Create new profile, creating a new profile, then closing the initial Brave instance you’ve launched. The only window opened should be the new profile, probably sitting on the Welcome Tour.

Can you try browsing using this profile and tell me if the behavior is the same?

Sure. I’ll let you know.

1 Like

Well, I did as you asked. Again, it took just over 4 minutes for Brave to load. I did just sit there for a half hour but then I decided to open Google News. Took 39 seconds to open, and now my computer is completely lagging again.

So if it’s the extensions, I can’t use Brave, because I need the extensions.

Regardless, if it’s going to take 5 minutes to open and then slow my computer to a crawl, I can’t use Brave.

So anyway, I guess I’m stuck. Sure sucks. I hate Chrome and LOVE(D) Brave.

Such is life I reckon.

@wrytrzcrmp,
To confirm, the behavior you’re describing above occurred when using the new browsing profile you created?