Brave only works on a single RDP session

Brave will not run in multiple RDP sessions for the same user.

Scenario:
Session #1: You are logged into a server using RDP and you are running Brave.
Session #2: You connect a second session on the same server as the same user, you cannot start Brave. It will not start.
You can have other people logged onto the same server through RDP, they can have their own Brave session running but no-one can have multiple RDP sessions running Brave on more than one of them.

This happens on all servers, regardless of the username or privilege level.

Only 1 RDP session, per user, can run Brave at any one time.

All versions of the O/S (2012, 2016, 2019, 2022) are affected and all versions of Brave, even the latest.

Brave is up to date: Version 1.48.171 Chromium: 110.0.5481.177 (Official Build) (64-bit)

1 Like

Hi there @Pantec are you able to connect a second session using a different chromium based browser such as Chrome or Edge?

If they work, please let me know.

Yes, normally have to use Firefox or Edge. Those browsers work fine in multiple RDP sessions with the same user, just Brave that doesn’t.

1 Like

@Pantec could you please try creating a new profile on Brave by going to main menu > create a new profile and then trying to connect to two sessions to see if you are able to do so?

I have created a new profile and logged onto a second RDP session. Brave will not start either for the original shortcut nor the second new profile.

1 Like

@Pantec, try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue. You’ll find this in brave://settings/system > Use hardware acceleration when available > toggle off > relaunch Brave.

Nope… no banana… nada… zip…

1 Like

@Pantec do you have ant extension installed on Brave that may be interfering with RDP sessions?

1. On your computer, open Brave.
  2. At the top right, click Menu → More tools → Extensions.
  3. On to the extension you want to remove, click Remove.
  4. Confirm by clicking Remove.

Let me know if that works.
Regards.

No, nothing.

It is a bug, have you tried it yourself?

We are an IT Solution Provider, we install servers and PCs all the time. Every PC we supply we install Brave and set as default, every server the same.

This issue happens on EVERY server, whatever the version of Windows Server. There are never any add-ins, plug-ins, any other fancy or weird stuff installed.

It happens on a brand new, freshly installed server with no other software installed whatsoever.

My many years in this industry supporting many different servers is telling me that it is Brave profile related. It ONLY happens “within” the same user. You can have 100 people logged onto the server via RDP, each of them running Brave no problem. The moment ANY user connects a second RDP session, the second RDP session cannot run Brave (if they are already running Brave in their first RDP session).

I thought I explained that in my original message, keep coming backwards and forwards is getting nowhere. Sorry to be abrupt but this is the problem.

1 user (ANY user) on the same RDP server with 2 RDP sessions cannot run Brave in both sessions.

This does not happen with Edge, nor Firefox, nor Chrome - it is Brave specific.

1 Like

Thanks for the information, I’ve shared this with our team and I’m waiting for further information on the matter. Once our team has answers, I will get back to you as soon as possible.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.