Brave not responding on Catalina

Same issue after updating MacOS to Catalina.
Brave shuts down and will not reload, reinstalled new download and after loading Brave shuts down after first attempt to open any site.
Cleaned with AppCleaner and still no cigar.
Will wait for next version.

@karmajampa,
Can you try disabling Brave Sync and see if this stops the Crashing?

After cleaning Brave totally with AppCleaner, downloaded Brave and attempted install however Brave will not open so cannot disable Sync at this point !

For me, Brave doesn’t stay open long enough to load fully let alone have time to disable sync before it crashes.

Thanks.

I had the same situation Adventureland. I had to take a copy of the two ‘history’ folder in the Default folder. See one of the other emails in this thread. Then start Brave and disable sync. Close Brave. Put the old ‘history’ folders back where they were to regain access to your personal browsing history and then Brave was stable for me. Hope it works for you. Regards, Alan

@karmajampa,
You can try launching Brave with Sync disabled:

• Using the command line or terminal by launching the browser with “–disable-brave-sync” appended to the end of the launch command.
  • If you’re using windows, you can alter the Target path in the Brave Shortcut. That will launch the browser with Sync disabled as well. The process would be similar to this one here: Error on yesterday's update [Windows "blank window" issue] – except the flag you’ll add is --disable-brave-sync.

Let me know if any of the above is unclear.

Yes I saw your earlier post, thanks.
I looked in my Default folder and there are no History folders…
Just 3 Text Edit files. Are you referring to these files and not a folder?

Mattches, what do you think of this temporary solution Santiburi is suggesting?

@Adventureland,
I think you can try but @Santiburi – I’m not entirely sure I understand the process you’re trying to describe that you used to resolve the issue. Can you elaborate a bit with exact steps?

Is Sync disabled by default ?
If not, could this resolve this problem for new uptakes for Catalina users.

Sync is enabled only if the device is added to the Sync chain AFAIK.

I am not familiar with using Terminal.
Can Brave be removed from the sync chain from outside Brave ?

@Mattches and @karmajampa, it looks like one can remove other devices from the Sync chain from a functioning Brave, but would that fix the Sync issue on the broken one? In other words, I can remove my laptop from the chain using Brave on my iPhone, but my guess is that Brave on the laptop would still do its initial check or whatever that’s making it crash for some people.

I only have Brave on my desktop, where would I find the sync chain ?
OK, reading more it would seem that I am not synced as I only have one machine so my issue with Brave not loading or previously loading and crashing must not be a sync related problem.

@karmajampa,
Thanks for the information.
This is curious – would you mind downloading our Beta build and see if you get the same results as you do on Brave stable? Note that you can download install, run, and uninstall (if you want) the Beta without interfering with or overwriting anything on your current installation.

Will do.
I had to clear the bin as there was a copy of Brave there after cleaning with appCleaner. After doing that I opened the disc image again, it opens then Brave is verified and after selecting to open it, nothing further happens. In doc it notes that Brave cannot be found even though it was supposedly installed, neither does it show in applications folder, only the volume in Finder.

Downloaded the linked beta, verified but got core services message that Apple could not open it as they could not check it for malicious content. Says it needs to be updated.
My security setting is for Apple and identified developers. I think there is a work around but do not know what it is.

1 Like

@karmajampa,
In macOS, go to Settings --> Privacy and Security and see if you’re able to give permissions to launch Brave from here.

Unlocked security and selected to open anyway, Brave immediately crashed, selected reopen, crashed again, selected send report to Apple.
Presume you will get a report also ?

@karmajampa,
Thank you for testing that – although I’m still not sure what’s happening here. There are other issues surrounding Catalina that the team is working on presently. I’ll be back here when I have more info or additional tests to try.

1 Like

Thanks, the Youtube ads are too much !