Brave not launching

After installing Brave on a fresh Windows 10 Pro installation, it works fine - until I restart the computer. After that, launching Brave only generates a .DMP file in the crash reports folder (AppData\Local…\User Data), but will not actually launch.

@mirghon ,

REVISED:

Hang on to that .DMP file. Possibly you will be asked by @Mattches (member of Brave Support) , to send that .DMP file to him via a DM (direct message).

I am not certain if such a file, would include some of your personal info, and thus, the DM . . . instead of posting it, here . . . though it might help to post non-personall findings, here, if you wish.

Meanwhile . . . you did not use the Report Template that helps Brave Support to assess an issue, so I have filled in your info that you originally stated:

Description of the issue:

After installing Brave on a fresh Windows 10 Pro installation, it works fine - until I restart the computer. After that, launching Brave only generates a .DMP file in the crash reports folder (AppData\Local…\User Data)

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

See description of the issue.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

After the Restart of Windows 10 Pro, and launching Brave Browser, the browser will actually not launch of fail to launch properly, and generates a .DMP file in the crash reports folder (AppData\Local…\User Data).

Expected Result:

Successful launch of Brave Browser, after Restarting my Windows OS 10 Pro machine.

Reproduces how often:

Always

Brave Version (See the About Brave page in the main menu):

( ? - Because you might not be able to gather the version number. )

Additional information:

I’m using Windows 10 Pro on a desktop computer.

You might add more info in a reply, or edit your Original Post.

PS.

PS.

Please, every day, before (and / or after) you work at your Windows OS machine, create a System Restore Point. Edit its name, to include the date at the beginning of the name (Egs. 20220221_Mon_SysRstrPt_etc) . . . so you can find the specific Restore Point that you later, suddenly need.

@289wk thank you for your support. @Mattches has not contacted me so far though…

@mirghon,
How long was Brave working before this issue occurred? While it was working did you install any browser extensions? Additionally, since it is a relatively new installation, while it may seem simple have you tried uninstalling/reinstalling the browser?

yeah, that was the first thing i did when it wouldnt start the next day.

the only reason i posted here in the first place is that, the next day, the exact same thing happened.

the first time, I had imported bookmarks and saved password from my previous brave installation - the 2nd time, I simply deleted the complete profile folder in appdata after uninstalling, then downloaded it freshly. I did not even install any extensions.

Tbf, I could try to reinstall it a 3rd time . But I doubt it will be any different.

Not entirely sure what would be causing this. I’m going to ask a couple of team members about it. In the meantime, I am curious to know if you get the same results when downloading/using the Beta build of the browser (note that downloading/installing/running the Beta version will not overwrite any of your existing Brave data)?

alright brave has been working 2 days, now it’s the same again. can i send you my DMPs?

Edit: when making multiple start attempts in a row, the report files differ in size, which is also sleightly weird.

Update: Today it launches again. Wow.

As asked previously — can you please tell me whether or not the Beta build of the browser exhibits the same behavior?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.