Brave Not Downloading With File Extensions


Description of the issue:
For the last few days, Brave is not downloading files with extensions. So, for example, somename.pdf is being saved as just somename unless I add .pdf to it.

How can this issue be reproduced?

  1. Go to a page with a download or even a save as on an image

Expected result:
filename.extension

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Version 1.38.111 Chromium: 101.0.4951.54 (Official Build) (x86_64)

Additional Information:

Hello @imix4u

could you disable all extension and try again in private mode

if it work fine then the issue either with one of your extension or you need to clear your cache

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

@imix4u ,

A test file for you to download. It is text file with only content being the word: “test” and having filename extension “txt”

testFile.txt (4 Bytes)

Clicking on the .txt file worked fine. Downloaded directly.

This didn’t help. I did notice that it’s not so much direct downloads, but it’s mostly if it’s an open page and I have to print it and get the dialog

@imix4u ,

I suspect a longstanding Brave Browser problem with handling/managing [some] PDF files.

Particularly PDF files that have SPACE and/or some non-alphanumeric characters in their filenames.

Some Brave Browser extensions for processing such PDF file [instances], may cause or aggravate the problem.

And the root of the problem is more likely to be within Chromium.

not sure if i got you or not
but when you print a page and choose to save as pdf it allow you to write the name of the file and the browser would append the extension pdf in this case automatically

so try it again without adding any extension and go check the file name in your folder you will notice it has the correct extension

Oh wow. Sure enough. It did add the extension back. I swear I tried that a few days ago and it didn’t work.

1 Like