Brave News needs reset every day?

Almost every day, and after updates, I have to turn off News and shut down the browser, then re-enable News.

Sometimes I have to reboot too – is this another safety feature?

Version 1.61.109 Chromium: 120.0.6099.144 (Official Build) (64-bit)
System: Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria base: Ubuntu 22.04 jammy, Kernel: 5.15.0-91-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 11.4.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 5.8.4 tk: GTK 3.24.33 wm: muffin dm: LightDM

@rlw1138,
Thank you for reaching out to us.
Can you tell me what happens when you don’t re-enable news (which I assume means disabling it from the Customize menu on the NPT and then turning it back on)? Does it stop loading or does it freeze or is it some other behavior?

the first (and only) news story box has a spinnie that never goes away. everything else is good

sent-from-Pixel3A

ALSO…

it’s been happening for months, although not as frequent early on. I wish I could tell you exactly when an how often, but I’m pretty old…

@rlw1138,
Wondering if you have any extensions installed in the browser at this time? One of them may be conflicting with the feed — if you do I’d try disabling them and testing to see if that makes any difference.

I have a few extensions active…I’ll try turning them all off and adding in one at a time over the next couple days/weeks

Google Translate
Version 2.0.13

Checker Plus for Gmail™
Get notifications, read, listen to or delete emails without opening Gmail and easily manage multiple accounts.
Version 24.4.2

Sound Booster
Version 2.4

Audio Only Youtube
Version 0.10.0

KeePassXC-Browser
Version 1.8.10

1 Like

Please let me know the results.

Today I upgraded my Mint Linux version, from “victoria” to “Virginia”

All my (6) Brave extensions were Off, and NO apps were running as I upgraded.

Once the reboot into the new system was up, I launched Brave and as expected a New Tab would not display News.

I turned off News and quit Brave.

Upon relaunch I re-activated News and it worked.

I have noticed that the only time I can see and select News Sources is when I am re-activating News after a Brave restart.

Hope that helps, and I’ll keep you posted. Let me know if you have any ideas on what and how I can test further!

@rlw1138,
Thank you for testing.
While I dig on this, it would be good to know whether or not you see this behavior in a new browser profile. Simply create a new profile, close your old one, and enable Brave News. Check to see if it loads properly on the first try.

New profile worked right away. (but the old one is working as well)

I’ll try the new profile the next time my main profile doesn’t load News.

If the new one works when the old profile does not, I’ll delete the old one (after reading-up on what I’m really deleting!! ;> )

@rlw1138,
What we’re really doing here is testing to see if the issue is caused by something isolated to your specific profile or if the issue is with Brave itself. Since News seems to work in the new profile without issue, the issue is likely related to your old profile specifically.

I still have a sneaky suspicion that, even when disabled, one of the extensions you have installed is still causing this. If you can confirm that the new profile always works (even when News in your original profile is not working), I’d recommend uninstalling those extensions and testing in your old profile again.