Brave makes weird connections during startup

Description of the issue:

I was testing what connections Brave makes during startup on Linux with mitmproxy and I noticed it makes connections to random domains that don’t exist. The URLs don’t even end with a TLD like .com. The URL changes each time.

What are these connections for and is there a way to disable them?

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Install mitmproxy

2. Start mitmproxy by running mitmproxy -p (portnumber). Replace (portnumber) with the port number you want to use e.g. 3128

3. Start Brave and make it use the proxy by running brave --proxy-server="127.0.0.1:3128"

4. Observe the connections in mitmproxy

Actual Result:

It tries to make connections to random URLs but fails (because they don’t exist).

Expected result:

It doesn’t make those connections.

Reproduces how often:

Every time I start Brave,

Operating System and Brave Version:

OS - Arch Linux

Brave - Version 0.62.51 Chromium: 73.0.3683.103 (Official Build) unknown (64-bit)

Additional Information:

I got Brave from the AUR but I manually verified the PKGBUILD and it was fine so that shouldn’t be the problem.

1 Like

cc @Mattches and @sriram on this.

Those connections are not from Brave. Its the proxy application listing them. If you open the header section on your proxy application it would show what type of error has occurred. Your proxy application isn’t able to capture connections from Brave hence its showing those random urlnames which doesn’t exist.

This isn’t an issue on Brave. Its the proxy application trying to say what error occured via those internal urls names.

1 Like

The header section doesn’t show what error occurred. It just shows me the http header.

In the details section it shows “127.0.0.1:50240” as the address which is local. Is this what’s causing the error?

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.