Brave logging out of everything

Description of the issue:
My Brave browser has logged me out of every website and removed every preference (as if I’m visiting the site for the first time) about 4-5 times this week. The first couple times I just logged back into everything but now I’m just using a different browser. I keep all extensions, extension settings, and browser settings.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary)
Completely random. I’ll open the browser and find that I’m logged out of everything.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
I’m logged out of everything.

Expected result:
I expect my logins and website preferences to persist.

Reproduces how often:
Once a day at least. Possibly more but I’ve opted to use a different browser in the meantime.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10
Version 1.47.171 Chromium: 109.0.5414.87 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Has only started happening within the last week. Coincides with the most recent Brave update.

Hello @BrastaSauce, thank you for letting us know about this. In case you are using extensions try disabling some of them or one by one to see which one might be causing the issue. What kind of websites are you experiencing this issue also you should check the options under: brave://settings/socialBlocking and the password manager at: brave://settings/passwords to see if your logins and passwords are still there. Hope that can help you. Regards.

I get logged out of every single website. There’s not a single website I’ve found that retains my login session.

My social media blocking settings are:

• Google login buttons: Enabled
  • Facebook login buttons: Enabled
  • Twitter login buttons: Enabled
  • LinkedIn login buttons: Disabled

I do not have Brave set up to remember any logins or passwords.

I’m sure you’ve seen already but it’s worth noting I’m not the only one experiencing this issue given other community posts recently.

@BrastaSauce,
Can you please check and see if you have any data set to be cleared “on exit” by going to Settings --> History --> Clear browsing data --> [On exit]? Additionally, does disabling your extensions have any affect on this behavior?

I do not have anything set to be cleared On Exit. Everything is unchecked.

Disabling my extensions is hard to test because it is completely random when Brave decides to log out of everything. I’ve had it keep my logins for up to 2 days sometimes and others had it reset within 5 minutes.

It’s always upon closing/opening the browser that everything has been removed. I’ve never been logged out of something while the browser was active.

@BrastaSauce,
Thank you for the information. This is why I asked about data being cleared on exit — given that the data is cleared only when you close the browser. Can you tell me what extensions you do have installed at this time?

I have:

• uBlock Origin
  • Bitwarden
  • Dark Reader
  • Yoroi
  • BetterTTV
  • TTV LOL
  • Enhancer for YouTube
  • Sponsorblock
  • Return YouTube Dislike
  • Reddit Enhancement Suite

Can you also confirm what the default cookies setting is for in Brave Shields? You can see this by going to Settings --> Shields

Unfortunately with this type of seemingly “random” loss of data I would be willing to wager that one of your extension is causing some sort of conflict with the browser. I would recommend using the browser for a while with your extensions disabled and see if you are still logged out of sites when closing the browser.

My block cookies setting is set to “only cross-site”.

I’ll disable my extensions and see if I find any improvement.

1 Like