Brave keeps freezing my PC very often

Hello.

I fresh installed Windows 10 about a month ago, then I started to use Brave for the first time.
The version I’m using is Version 0.66.101 Chromium: 75.0.3770.142 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I never had problems with it whatsoever until a week or two ago. It started to freeze out of nowhere, even if I had just one tab opened (if it matters). It’ll freeze my entire PC, and I’ve to wait for a good 15 seconds or so for it to resume. If I click on it once, it’ll go “blank” and become “Not responding”.

That’s all the information I can think of that is useful.

Thank you very much.

1 Like

@ViviLass Thanks for reaching out! I am Windows 10 user too. I haven’t seen this issue anytime. Could you please provide more information:

1. Is you PC Freeze only for brave or other applications ?
  2. Is this issue happening only on the brave version 0.66.101.
  3. Can you install any other older versions of brave and see if it freezes

If possible, can you try lauching brave from cmd prompt and capture the logs.

Thanks!

1. No, only Brave freezes my whole PC. No other applications or games freeze it, I’ve tested.
    When I don’t use Brave, it won’t freeze.

2. I’ve only used the latest version, Version 0.66.101. I’ve never tried any other older versions.

3. I will do this tomorrow, launch Brave from CMD as you suggested and will report back. Thank you.

@ViviLass,
You may also want to try the solution found here regarding Hardware Acceleration:

I can attest to this. It only started happening today (25 July) and I’ve been using Brave for the last 4 months with no issue. Today, Brave just froze up TWICE consecutively on me after about 5 minutes of using each. What’s worse, it froze my laptop as well. I had to hard reboot my laptop twice now by pressing the on/off button. No other application was causing this problem, only Brave.

I’m on Windows 10, Brave Version 0.66.101 Chromium: 75.0.3770.142 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I did launch Brave from CMD prompt but apologies, I did not know how to save or get the logs.

However, I did turn off hardware acceleration. It was fine for an hour or so, but the freezing came back again and it seemed to freeze the PC much worse. Before turning it off, it would freeze my PC only sometimes, mostly on the browser itself. But now the freezing duration is longer.

@ViviLass Can you please try installing any otehr older versions and check whether PC freezes?

Fresh install- try below steps:

1. Uninstall all Brave versions from Control Panel
  2. Remove BraveSoftware folder from C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware
  3. Remove BraveSoftware from AppData\Local\BraveSoftware
  4. Download any other older versions like 0.65.x and install brave

Please revert back with above observations.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.