Brave keeps Crashing upon opening

crash report id: 311a0600-dba3-700b-0000-000000000000

hardware accell has been disable, still crashing, uninstalled reinstalled a few times as well, same result. Crashed over 50 times now according to crash counter

restart computer and logged into guest acount and brave browser works there.

Also, on my main account where brave is crashing, night and beta versions are working fine and do not crash. So bizarre. Please help.

1 Like

@Freemandgaf I just want to verify, you’re saying it closes as you try to open? In other words, it never opens on a page and you can’t do anything? Just trying to be clear on how much loads and can be done. Also, how did you get the Uploaded Crash Report ID if it’s closing on opening?

• Can you launch Brave in a private window?

• Can you test with a new profile? You can do this by changing your command line to be something like open -a "Brave Browser.app" -n --args --profile-directory="newprofiletest" and see if things go well? Make sure not to add anything to this test profile.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I can open brave for probably all of 30 seconds or less before it crashes. During this window, this is how im able to get the crash report, after it crashes, I repeat the cycle.

I can launch brave in a private browser, brave still shuts down with 30 secs

I will try the new profile method now.

1 Like

Ok that worked, Brave has stayed open without crashing! Thank you.

So the issue was my account… Do I try to log back into my account now or whats the next step?

1 Like

Confirmed. Profile 2 that we just created works. Clicking profile 1, re-crashes Brave. How do I fix it so that I may continue using Profile 1?

When you’re in the second profile, can you go to brave://crashes and make sure everything is uploaded? Then copy/paste over some of the recent Uploaded Crash Report ID?

@Mattches or someone from Brave should be able to look at that and offer more specific guidance depending on what they see as wrong.

The only thing I know is it must be something in your settings, one of your extensions, or could just be a corrupt profile. If the profile itself has issues, then not much that can be done except just move data over when/if possible and to stop using it.

As for the rest, it would just be having to remove extensions to see if that matters. If not, then to try to quickly work on settings and all. No quick or easy methods on all of that is coming to mind.

I believed the issue to be an extension, but I have since removed them all. However the issue persists.

Only 1 crash report is currently available, hopefully this helps or is what you’re requesting: 1370fd56-a261-4be5-9cc9-2eb8e38f69d7

I would like to salvage my original profile if possible, or move everything over to a new account… :

@Saoiray Unfortunately the Saga continues, I closed Brave and then reopened it to test consistency. I choose to opens on profile 2, but then it still crashes. Going back to your other message, with the command line, upon re-entering that into terminal, that then re-opens brave in a state that won’t close after 30 seconds. Super bizarre, ive had to remove brave from my main browser because of this.

Did you add anything to the new profile or change any settings?

I did not, just closed and reopened.

If no crash reports are generating as this is happening to you now, then it suggests it’s not a crash.

Assuming that’s the case, it would lead us to assume you have something like a firewall, antivirus, or something along the lines which is actually closing Brave. If Brave is actually crashing, it should 100% be creating a crash report.

If you have anything like that installed on your device, you may want to pause it and see if the issue resolves. If so, then we’d just have to find the settings within that program so it won’t be closing Brave.

1 Like

Oh, just to be clear, it doesn’t have to be a firewall, internet security, antivirus, or similar program. For example, a while back I had an issue where Brave seemed to just close/crash on its own. After some investigation, I found out it was due to NVIDIA Cortex which was set to put things to sleep and all when I opened games, all so I can get better performance and not have anything eating RAM or whatever. So it can be something small like that too.

1 Like

I posted the crash report above.

Heres a screenshot with. more crashes

Ooh, ok. I thought you were saying no crash reports. But you just meant they weren’t uploaded yet. Just a misunderstanding on phrasing.

If you have clicked on Send Now, then you’ll have to exit Brave completely for it to upload in the background. But at least they are all fairly recent. Screenshot is nice but if you’re able to copy/paste, it makes it easier for Support and Devs. With a screenshot, they have to type it out while looking. Whereas copy/paste allows them to do the same, which is quicker and limits chance of any typos.

For now, I think I’m kind of at the limit of ideas. I’ll have to wait to see about when Support gets back. When I tagged Mattches earlier, his note said still sick. So not sure if he’ll be back on Monday or if I’ll need someone like @steeven to check in. Either way, have them, both tagged and hopefully they’ll look over everything and have some ideas for you. Just might not be until Monday or later in the week as they catch up with everything.

1 Like

Thanks for your help… Crash info for the rest of team:

Crash from Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 2:41:42 PM

Uploaded Crash Report ID: 40440a00-dba3-700b-0000-000000000000
Upload Time: Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 2:48:21 PM

Provide additional details

Crash from Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 2:40:26 PM

Uploaded Crash Report ID: 44440a00-dba3-700b-0000-000000000000
Upload Time: Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 2:48:23 PM

Crash from Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 2:30:40 PM

Uploaded Crash Report ID: 43440a00-dba3-700b-0000-000000000000
Upload Time: Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 2:48:23 PM

Crash from Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 2:29:24 PM

Uploaded Crash Report ID: 42440a00-dba3-700b-0000-000000000000
Upload Time: Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 2:48:22 PM

Crash from Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 2:14:23 PM

Uploaded Crash Report ID: 163d0a00-dba3-700b-0000-000000000000
Upload Time: Sunday, February 4, 2024 at 2:29:26 PM

I’ve forwarded the crash reports to the team for review. Hope to have more information for you soon — thank you

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.