Brave is Good but BAT and Brave Rewards Have a Serious Flaw

cryptocurrency is data, it falls under “papers” in the 4th Amendment but since it is being shared via the internet it is also free speech under the 1st Amendment.

I am a long-time advocate of cryptocurrency and privacy. Brave blew me away. Blocked ads and trackers made pages load faster. The Chromium interface was familiar and easy to use.

BAT, on the other hand, was a flop and that is because of Uphold. They require bank account level identification to participate in brave rewards.

All of the data stored on the blockchains, hard drives, and paper notes are your “papers”.

For your consideration, The 4th Amendment to the US Constitution:

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

For your documents to be seized a warrant is required. The oath or affirmation part means a witness must come forward to accuse you. Under current rules, you’re assumed guilty simply for moving your own money beyond their control.

Now for a new violation:

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

Cryptocurrency is data, it is information, and sharing information is speech. Regulating cryptocurrency is like telling me I can’t say “Bill owes me three dollars.” Clearly, that would violate my right to free speech. Having an open digital ledger that says the same thing cannot be treated differently.

Attempting to identify all cryptocurrency users is a futile attempt to hold on to the banking monopoly.

I will continue to use Brave Browser because it is awesome but BAT and Brave Rewards are left by the wayside until I can choose my own wallet without Uphold.
I do not have to share my identity to spend my own money. The government doesn’t require ID to use cash because they control the supply. KYC is just a corporate banking monopoly flexing its muscles.