Brave installed from Amazon AppStore crashes

Description of the issue:
I’ve installed Brave version 1.0.70, Chromium 70.0.3538.10 from the Amazon AppStore on my Huawei P10 (VTR-AL00 EMUI 9.1.0 Android 9). Shortly after running Brave, I am presented with a dialog saying:

Amazon Appstore connection failure
An error occurred connecting to Amazon Appstore. Please try opening this app again
QUIT

Pressing QUIT (predictably) quits Brave.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Install Amazon Appstore on a Huawei P10.
  2. Use Appstore to install Brave.
  3. Run Brave.

(switching to aeroplane mode between 2 and 3 makes the problem more predictable)

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Dialogue appears with above text.
Pressing ‘Quit’ quits Brave.

Expected result:
I expect Brave to have no link with Amazon, and I expect it to run irrespective of connectivity to Amazon sites, or any internet access at all.

Reproduces how often:
Very often…close to ‘always’ but not 100%.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Android (aosp?) 9
Brave 1.0.70

Additional Information:

1 Like

Thanks for reporting @davidmaxwaterman, and apologies for late response.

I’m not sure why Amazon Store have an outdated version. The latest version is 1.4.0.
cc @sriram @Mattches for assistance here.

I have noticed that apps installed from the Amazon store require the Amazon store app to be used, which kind of sucks. I installed it instead from all mirror.com. Does anyone know if that is a reputable site?

@davidmaxwaterman you can download the APK from GitHub. Here’s for the latest version https://github.com/brave/browser-android-tabs/releases/tag/v1.4.0

But, AFAIK, if you install it this way, it’ll not auto-update.

We cant comment on what kind of installs are available via mirror.com. Our official builds are only available via Google Play Store or via Amazon App. To auto update you will either need to install via either of these two places. Alternately you can side load apk downloading via GitHub but that wont auto update if you dont have either GPS or via Amazon App. If you do install via side load I would suggest keep an eye on brave.com/latest to see if there are any new releases and then you can download the latest file and manually update it.

If you uninstall Amazon store app you wont get any updates. Unfortunately this is all Amazon criteria and we do not have control on that. The store does get the latest builds from us but if you do not update via that you will fall behind on updates.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.