Brave higher memory usage than chrome

I have noticed a large lag on my system while using Brave. I have significant keyboard stuttering that is driving me crazy. I can sometimes wait 5-10 seconds before characters appear after I’ve typed them, assuming they appear at all. Sometimes it just freezes and I have to wait before I can type again. I looked at the task manager and saw that Brave was taking up a lot of memory and was wondering if this might be the problem.
I set up Brave and Chrome, side by side, with the same extensions, same number of tabs open and same websites being viewed in three tabs.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. The three extra extensions that I use are Bitmoji, Stickypassword, and Honey
  2. I have an HP Spectre x360 with 16GB RAM, which is less than a year old.

**Brave’s numbers are worse than chrome, and I still have no idea if the keyboard stuttering has anything to do with it at all. **

Version 1.22.72 Chromium: 89.0.4389.128 (Official Build) (64-bit)
![brave vs chrome|690x77] **

Brave browser 1776.5MB memory and 6.6% CPU
Chrome browser 918.6MB memory and 0% CPU**

1 Like

This is the biggest problem of privacy-focused Firefox and Brave browsers with other Chromium browsers. It uses system resources without much care.

Hey @Windflower,

This issue has rarely popped up, so I’m not sure of a definite fix. However, if I had to guess, it would be either 2 things:

1. It could be an issue with your extensions, unfortunately.
    or
  2. It could be a hardware acceleration issue, which would be much easier to solve. You can turn it off in Brave settings.

Try disabling hardware acceleration first, and if that doesn’t fix it, disable your extensions.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.