Brave has started as if I just downloaded it

bug

Hello, I have been using Brave since 3/3/2018. I startup Brave this morning to find it has reset itself to the “Welcome to Brave” state, all of my bookmarks are gone. What could possibly be the reason for Brave to reset like this?

I have restarted my Mac, restarted Brave hoping it was just a glitch. This has never happened before. It looks like all I can do is start over.

My question is, is this going to happen again? Is Brave this unstable?

NOTE: Any “one-liner” or topics requesting support or reporting bugs that do not make an effort to include as much of this information as possible will be closed immediately. Repeatedly posting as such will get you flagged or banned.

Please try to adhere to this template when reporting bugs. If you think you don’t need to fill out every section in the template fill out as much of it as you can and please be as descriptive as possible when posting. Thank you!
<---------Delete this line and everything above before posting---------->

Description of the issue:

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Expected result:

Reproduces how often:

Brave Version(about:brave):

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

Additional Information:

Brave has reset itself

@KozoYas, can you please share your “about:brave” information?
Additionally, did you recently upgrade your mac to Mojave? Or, did you manually move any Brave related files on your machine?

I uploaded a screen shot of About Brave, because there’s so much information on there. Version is 0.25.2. I did not upgrade to Mojave, it messed up my laptop so I am not going near Mojave for now. I did not manually move and Brave related files on my machine.

Very strange. Lets see if the files are still there:

1. Open Finder
  2. Navigate to ~/Library/Application Support/brave
  3. Locate a file named Session-store-1
  4. Use a text editor to view its contents
  5. If you have saved session data, then this file should have a big mess of text in it. What you’re seeing are hardcoded values that Brave reads from when looking for your browsing data. If you look closely you should be able to search through it (I’d use the find function) and verify some of your bookmarks in the text. If your data is truly missing/erased, this file will not contain any of your associated bookmarks.

Let me know what you find.

There is no brave folder in application support. How can this be?

Just to confirm we’re on the same page, the full path you’re looking in is
/Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Brave

Is that correct?

Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it…

Yes I did find the Brave folder. I did a search for some of my bookmarks, they didn’t come up in the search.

Everything reset again this morning. Back to no bookmarks (I imported my saved bookmarks yesterday) and Welcome to Brave screen.

The odd thing is, when I go this route, /Users/YourUserName/Library/Application Support/Brave, my Library folder didn’t show up. I found it using AppCleaner to uninstall Brave and the Library folder was greyed out in the AppCleaner delete window.

Should I uninstall and download Brave?

I have the Brave browser working once again. I uninstalled my previous Brave browser and dowloaded new Version 0.56.14 Chromium: 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (64-bit). Now after some testing, the browser is no longer restarting and all of my bookmarks are there. Looks just like Chrome though.

Also, the invisible Library folder mystery (mystery to me anyway,) it is the way OSX handles the Library folder. By holding Option + clicking on the Go menu in the finder it appears as one of the selections. The other way, is permanent, is to go to Terminal and enter, chflags nohidden ~/Library and hit enter.

Thanks for working with me on this Mattches. Much appreciated!

Sorry for the late response! But I’m pleased to see you did some excellent sleuthing of your own.
Updating to 0.56.14 was definitely the right call to make.
My pleasure to help!