Brave freezes when Telegram Web receives a new message (or web push notification)

bug
linux

Description of the issue:

I have two instances of https://web.telegram.org/ open, one in normal pinned tab, another in pinned session tab. When either receives a message, Brave freezes for minutes.
I installed Brave from snap.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):
1. Install Brave from snap, sudo snap install brave --edge (I installed edge, but according to snap info there is no difference in version to stable branch).
2. Login to https://web.telegram.org/, pin the tab, open session tab and login to another account.
3. Send a message to either account or ask your friend to do so or have the two accounts message each other.
4. Brave freezes, possibly letting you reply to Allow telegram.org to send notifications, but after that nothing happens and attempting to close Brave results to window asking to force close it.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Freeze.

Expected result:

Telegram would be usable normally without freezing.

Reproduces how often:

Always, I have reproduced it at least three times.

Brave Version(about:brave):

Brave: 0.23.105
V8: 6.8.275.24
rev: 9a46f8f5cb22a9daf2af21989aed25911aa6f839
Muon: 8.0.9
OS Release: 4.15.0-33-generic
Update Channel: Release
OS Architecture: x64
OS Platform: Linux
Node.js: 7.9.0
Brave Sync: v1.4.2
libchromiumcontent: 68.0.3440.84

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):

yes (I think so based on snap info, while I am unsure what is live release)

Additional Information:

• Ubuntu MATE 18.04.1 LTS
  • MATE 1.20.1-2ubuntu1 (I cannot find About MATE for some reason)
% snap info brave                                                              
name:      brave                                                               
summary:   A browser with your interests at heart.                             
publisher: Brave Software (brave✓)                                             
contact:   https://community.brave.com/                                        
license:   unset                                                               
description: |                                                                 
  Browse faster by blocking ads and trackers that violate your privacy and     
  cost you time and money.                                                     
commands:                                                                      
  - brave                                                                      
snap-id:      uE3hSmGE91m9MpbDEnUWi2vpeumH6gmv                                 
tracking:     edge                                                             
refresh-date: today at 13:12 EEST                                              
channels:                                                                      
  stable:    v0.23.105dev (31) 208MB -                                         
  candidate: ↑                                                                 
  beta:      v0.23.77dev  (28) 207MB -                                         
  edge:      v0.23.105dev (31) 208MB -                                         
installed:   v0.23.105dev (31) 208MB -  

I just reproduced this on this site, community.brave.com. I went to my notification settings, disabled desktop notifications and enabled them for Brave to ask me if I wish to allow notifications from community.brave.com and I am not sure was my click for yes accepted before the freeze happened or did it freeze before I clicked yes.

Update: I hope it’s fine to edit this. I have reproduced this issue with apt version of Brave and have new information. When running either version of Brave in terminal, I see:

% /snap/bin/brave                                                                                                                                 
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/mikaela/snap/brave/31/snap/brave/31/Documents': No such file or directory                               
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/mikaela/snap/brave/31/snap/brave/31/Desktop': No such file or directory                                 
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/mikaela/snap/brave/31/snap/brave/31/Downloads': No such file or directory                               
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/mikaela/snap/brave/31/snap/brave/31/Music': No such file or directory                                   
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/mikaela/snap/brave/31/snap/brave/31/Pictures': No such file or directory                                
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/mikaela/snap/brave/31/snap/brave/31/Videos': No such file or directory                                  
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/home/mikaela/snap/brave/31/snap/brave/31/Templates': No such file or directory
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "appmenu-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Crash reporting enabled
Cursor image name: 00000000000000000000000000000000

Cursor hash 00000000000000000000000000000000 returns 0x0

Gkr-Message: secret service operation failed: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.175" (uid=1000 pid=24278 comm="/snap/brave/31/usr/bin/brave --no-sandbox " label="snap.brave.brave (enforce)") interface="org.freedesktop.Secret.Service" member="SearchItems" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.secrets" (uid=1000 pid=3251 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login " label="unconfined")                                                                       
Gkr-Message: secret service operation failed: An AppArmor policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this recipient; type="method_call", sender=":1.175" (uid=1000 pid=24278 comm="/snap/brave/31/usr/bin/brave --no-sandbox " label="snap.brave.brave (enforce)") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Peer" member="Ping" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.secrets" (uid=1000 pid=3251 comm="/usr/bin/gnome-keyring-daemon --daemonize --login " label="unconfined")                                                                                   

(brave:24278): libnotify-WARNING **: Failed to connect to proxy                                                                                  

[24278:24278:0909/213042.713786:ERROR:libnotify_notification.cc(48)] notify_notification_show: domain=1488 code=24 message="Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.Notifications: Timeout was reached"         

I think the latest message is when Brave begins working again.

Update 2: the development build doesn’t have this issue.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.