Brave freezes sometimes open link in new tab

brave freezing sometimes in a new tab is not reproducible so I can’t help much.
It seems to happen mostly logging into ebay.
have to kill it in task manager.

Name Version
Brave 0.18.14
rev ad92d02
Muon 4.3.6
libchromiumcontent 60.0.3112.78
V8 6.0.286.44
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel dev
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
OS Release 6.1.7601
OS Architecture x64

I started having the same problem after installing the most recent update.

56 PM

Zemlik, do you login to eBay or just search for things on eBay for the freeze to occur?

Also braveguy, what are you doing, when the freeze occurs?

Perhaps I am wrong saying " new tab" I will pay closer attention if it happens again.
I go to the ebay.co.uk from a link I have on a local apache page and it is OK then I click on “sign in” and it is a new page (maybe in same tab ) with flashing cursor “|” in the username box but everything is frozen

I may have jumped the gun on this one… Today I tried but wasn’t able to duplicate the problem I was having. Perhaps there was an issue with the website I was visiting.

I am having this issue as well, quite frequently whether it be I have 3 tabs open or 20 tabs open, I can’t identify why it’s crashing but one it does, I can’t access any of the tabs that are open, it’s like all the tabs crash, if I hover over them I can see a preview of the tab but cannot click on it.

I have tried opening a new tab but it’s stuck on one of the tabs I have open and cannot switch to another. I have to close and re-open Brave for it to work losing all of my tabs.

Brave: 0.18.14
rev: ad92d029e184c4cff01b2e9f4916725ba675e3c8
Muon: 4.3.6
libchromiumcontent: 60.0.3112.78
V8: 6.0.286.44
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: dev
OS Platform: Microsoft Windows
OS Release: 10.0.15063
OS Architecture: x64

it happens again for me on another site.
It seems it may be something to do with the input box when logging in.

I’m having the same problem. I can’t access my open tabs. It’s a very annoying bug. Anyone with a fix?

Yeah, I had a lot of issues with Brave freezing. Pretty random from my perspective but often enough that I’ve started using Iridium. Not as good as Brave but hasn’t frozen on my yet.

This was on pages I visit regularly. Sometimes no issues, sometimes total freeze-o-rama!!!

I’ve been watching the bug quite a bit on Ubuntu. It appears to be related to cursor motion and focus during tab switches, as the pointer wanders over tabs, and particularly if a tooltip pops up and is crossed by the mouse pointer. It reminds me of old work bugs of a similar nature (applications, not web) which were caused by HUGE loops being entered and orphaned.

One way to spot the bug is that the shown tab and the highlighted tab in the tab row are NOT THE SAME. Browser freeze, but not window (exit is easy by window kill). No disc activity due to the bug. Clicking on either the highlighted tab or the shown tab will lead to an exit of the loop, as will (oddly) certain random motions crossing tab-row item boundaries and tool-tips, but the latter is not reliable or reproducible. The most reliable way out of the loop is to click on the tab-row item for the SHOWN PAGE (i.e., the shown tab) and then wait for a short time.

This bug started all of a sudden, maybe one or two releases back. Very annoying. It can be avoided by moving mouse carefully between tabs, above the tab row.

Do you have 0.18.23 installed now? We just released it.

I’m having issues with the tabs freezing all the time as well. I have to close Brave and start it again about 8 times a day. It’s on the line of what I can stand. It’s terrible, because it’s the only browser I can use because of it’s fast speed.

In my case I have open tabs in facebook, youtube, coinigy.com, cryptocompare.com and others. I’m not sure if this is related to detatching and attaching the tabs, because I don’t do that to often. However, the tabs sometimes jumps loose way to easily by miss click on the tabs. That is another issue though.

When one of the tabs freeze I can most of the times still use most of the other tabs for a little while. But afte a few minutes I might get freeze on other tabs as well. This continues until I find it unusable and I have to restart Brave again.

This happened in the latest release as well as the release before it. The to last releases since today, 23’rd of August.

Please fix this issue. I LOVE this browser, but absolutley hate the bugs.

Yes. Here is my data:

Brave: 0.18.23
rev: 36ae2ec06efed0057ae16351108bf4d4c10a7ab4
Muon: 4.3.10
libchromiumcontent: 60.0.3112.90
V8: 6.0.286.52
OS Platform: Linux
OS Release: 4.4.0-93-generic

I am still having the issue, but I can confidently say that it is some kind of bug due to the motion of the pointer between tab headers. It occurs AFTER a new tab header is highlighted by Entry, but the previously clicked and focused one is still “depressed” and is still showing its URL.

What I find is that if I move the pointer over a new tab header and it highlights and then shows the grayed out new tab, there is a chance it will freeze the whole application. It tends to be worse if I click the new tab, because events during the freeze stack up and await execution when the freeze breaks.

I also find that if I perform a variety of motions with the cursor, the freeze sometimes breaks faster, but I need to be careful not to cross another tab header and stay in it, locking the new tab when it highlights. Sometimes it’s better to slow the mouse down in the web page itself or the upper control area and THEN move it into a tab header gently and carefully. The test of whether I can click in the header successfully is USUALLY the tab dismissal “X” showing a roll-over response. If that is frozen, I often get out of the tab, click the old tab header showing the URL, and come back to the new tab header - THEN it may show a responsive “X”.

OK - I have a newer version, and I think I’ve figured out how the freeze happens (it is still happening, but it seems more clear WHY).

Brave: 0.18.29
rev: 85f059d83b8861b3a7e127c42b2fe9d574be5810
Muon: 4.3.16
libchromiumcontent: 60.0.3112.113
V8: 6.0.286.56
OS Platform: Linux
OS Release: 4.4.0-93-generic

It seems that VIDEOS in tabs which are being previewed during pointer movement across tab headers are loading into memory, even after the pointer moves out. There is a big pause while the video loads. Move the cursor across several tab headers, and there can be a big freeze.

Thus, previewed tabs need to STOP loading videos and monster images if the pointer moves out of the corresponding header to a NEW header. Not sure this can be done, but that seems to be the root of the issue.

This correlates with the pages which have caused the most problems - things like Twitter, Google image searches, pages linked from video searches, pages with LONG comment threads, etc.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.