Muon: 3.0.202
libchromiumcontent: 58.0.3029.110
V8: 5.8.283.38
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: dev
os.platform: win32
os.release: 10.0.14393
os.arch: x64

I’ve basically ran two dozen or so tabs on the computer and left the browser running on minimize being preoccupied with other things.

I’ve opened and minimized the browser with around the same amount of tabs running for many hours and have even closed the monitor (on sleep or hibernate) more than a couple of times.

As I’ve tried to finally go through the tabs one by one having finished with other things, I come to realise that I was able to enter in a URL, nor could I switch to any of the two dozen tabs, nor can I close them, nor can I select any function within the Brave browser.

I’ve enclosed a screenshot of the event and also enclosed task manager information if its of any use.
Where you basically see the mouse on a particular function for more than a second, is actually be continuously pressing down on the mouse.

I was also curious was a crash report of this sent behind the scenes because then this issue can result in a more efficient browser, not in just in terms of speed but memory and energy for when it’s not in use.

It’s also terribly frustrating when this occurs because there isn’t anything like SessionBuddy which can save your important tabs if anything occurs unexpected when one likes to gather all the information and then peruse later. I Hope you don’t think it’s rude and I know it’s terrible of me to ask but couldn you deploy SessionBuddy and possibly test it for its implementation in the next update. I know there are things that will have to scrutinized and tested and that its been requested already but I don’t see why you can’t implement it sooner than later because you did for ‘Save to Pocket’ and SessionBuddy from the beginning would have had more beneficial aspects to it over that period.
When I first requested the extension I said, ‘I’m sure many will agree it’s better than all native bookmark solutions and Brave deploying it so its essentially like native bookmarking solution’ rather than a typical extension would be much better. Though I imagine you’d have to fiddle about with the code, which I’m sure the original developer would like help your team in.

UPDATE of bug again but this time after shutdown and restart and 20mins of use.

Constant Freezing

When did this start to occur?

This occurred at the time in which I posted them. the Second one I believe occurred the day afterwards.
To be more accurate I think the first one occurred just before the latest update and the second one after the latest update.

I’m also starting to have problems with crashes and wonder whether Brave knows about these as I’ve got ‘send anon. crash report’ enabled.
The situation was like the last screen shot and it just suddenly closed.

I see, are the crashes random or triggered by a certain website?

They’re definitely random. I’m sorry I thought I would have been clear enough with all the above information. Sorry.

Have you updated to the newest release and see if that has fixed the random crash issue?

I kept thinking with every next release that it would some how automatically fix itself but here’s the latest version that I’m running and it just occurred again. Thankfully I’m remembering to save any important links by manually copy and pasting into notepad which is time consuming.

Name Version
Brave 0.16.9
rev fba98fc
Muon 4.0.3
libchromiumcontent 59.0.3071.86
V8 5.9.211.31
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel dev
os.platform win32
os.release 10.0.15063
os.arch x64

I’m laughing because you just asked me the same thing above.

Hi @suguru, could you please update me about this issue please.

I’ve updated to the latest version and still the browser manages to crash. I’m surprised that others aren’t reporting the same issue; I’m predominantly using Brave so I’m using it for longer hours and more often than most I assume because I’m not necessarily using any extension though I do need them.

One thing I didn’t mention above that I do unconventional to most, is that I don’t maximize the browser to full screen which I’ve realised in comparison to the Tor browser it doesn’t make a difference. I used to do it because for privacy reasons as notified by the tor browser once attempting to maximize and I still do it to have easy access to the files on my desktop.

Brave: 0.17.13
rev: f7242c7ae683191b59388f567ccbd13d938b23d4
Muon: 4.1.7
libchromiumcontent: 59.0.3071.109
V8: 5.9.211.38
Node.js: 7.9.0
Update Channel: dev
os.platform: win32
os.release: 10.0.15063
os.arch: x64

Furthermore, don’t you think that SessionBuddy is more of a necessity similarly to the cryptographic password storing applications/extensions.

Firstly because it was one of the first extension requested by a lot of users, secondly, the extensions would have been beneficial from the beginning which the Brave team should have ascertained, one of them being that the current bookmarking feature isn’t appreciated by a lot of users (honestly not to sound disrespectful) efficient saving, storing, securing, managing and organising of websites, link, urls and bookmarks in general would been a great benefit to me personally because in the browser space where milliseconds are of great circumspect, literally minutes and seconds which are wasted on simply attempting to move the curser and changing each and every individual tab especially when you have dozens of tabs open just to check the star icon to bookmark can be taxing. Even more so taxing when you’re worried the browser is going to crash/freeze and you’ve got a dozen if not more tabs open and it eventually does crash.

I’ve noticed the same bug just a few minutes ago and came here looking to see if someone else posted.

I was actively using Brave at the time it happened. The clicking on other tabs stopped working. I tied closing the individual tabs but that didn’t work. Tried closing Brave by using the close button in the window and it was still unresponsive. Eventually I had to force it closed.

Brave has been running for several days, so maybe that’s the trick? I have a laptop, frequently put it to sleep and resume later. So often my applications will run for a while before restarting them.

Hi @murphy I don’t know if it’s the same for you but if you’ve checked most of the data types in Security - Private Data such as the history, cookies and others you’ll notice that they sort of remain after forcefully closing it via Task Manager. I check about:history after ending task in task manger and reopened it and noticed it didn’t really close it otherwise the data types would have been removed.

I also noticed it was occurring after waking up the laptop from sleep an reopening the lid but I also noticed it started becoming more frequent even when I didn’t put it in sleep mode.

For the sake of the Brave team, when or if they read this, what OS are you’re running and how many tabs did you have open at the time?

I’ve set it so each tab contains 8 tabs per tab set. This is the most tabs I’ve opened and look what just appeared.

Numpty, have you filed a issue on Github at all?

No I haven’t, to be honest given the severity of it I figured it would have been immediately ascertained by the team but I imagine this isn’t happening to users who are using Brave predominantly.

Every since the latest update on Version 17:13 a few days ago Brave continues to freeze up and then the program has to be closed and restarted. It appears this is happening after remaining idle for a short period of time.

hi, since not many other users are reporting the issue, I assume the issue is related with a profile. I personally experience that the browser freezes for a bit when I’m surfing with the profile since months, and doesn’t experience it with a fresh profile.

That issue has been notified to the team and they are looking for a solution. Best,

Can you clarify what you mean when you say its related to the profile, I do obviously turn of the pc and restart the browser, As you’ll be able to tell from the above comments that it’s occurred under different circumstances even with a fresh profile.
I’m sorry but when you say it freezes for bit is hard to believe because you make it sound as though it resumes for you. I can tell you for sure that it either crashes immediately with a windows dialogue asking whether you want to close the browser or wait it out or it freezes permanently. I’ve kept the system running without doing much and I can tell you it doesn’t not resume or function at all.

I’ve recently started seeing the same issue. I use 3 tabs, one of which is usually facebook (for a game I play lol). The one tab will freeze (or something) so that I cannot even view it or change to it. Closing out Brave and reopening will give me all 3 tabs again. But much of any wait time over about 5 minutes and it hangs up again. Occasionally it requires using the Task Monitor (CTRL+ALT+DEL) to close Brave out.

profile folder = the browser’s data folder under AppData/Roaming

Constant Freezing