Brave for Android 10/13/2020 update broke "file:///" URLs

As of this morning, after an automatic Brave update last night, on my Pixel 3a running Android 11 with the September 5th security update, URLs like “file:///sdcard/index.html” no longer open. Instead a page is displayed with the message “Access to the file was denied.”

This worked last night just before I went to bed. I have confirmed that Brave (still) has “Files and media” permission. Other browsers (e.g. Firefox, HTML Viewer) can open such files with the same URL.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Edit a URL in the header bar to point to a file in local storage, e.g. “file:///sdcard/index.html”.
  2. Hit “enter” on keyboard.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

Error page displayed.

Expected result:

HTML files are rendered, and hyperlinks within the pages pointing to other local storage files can be opened.

Reproduces how often:

100% of the time with Android build “Brave 1.15.73, Chromium 86.0.4240.75”

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):

Android 11; Pixel 3a Build/RP1A.200720.009

Additional Information:

N/A

The problem is bigger than this. Brave for Android actually doesn’t open any more local links. Nor only file:// but all appname:// links are refused!

I’ve dug around in the settings and nothing seems relevant, as well. This is clearly a code change that broke the previous behavior.

If it helps… I’ve discovered that if I locate a file on local storage with, say, OpenIntents File Manager, and have it open the file with Brave, that specific file will open. No links or images within the html file work, but it otherwise seems to render.

The url in the bar is of the form, “content://org.openintents.filemanager/%2Fstorage%2Femulated%2F/0%2F%2FText%2Findex.html”.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.