Brave does not end properly and remains as background task: FIXED

Hello,
when I start Windows, then I can open Brave. If I then close Brave, either with the X on the top right of the window, or through the menu, then I cannot open it again because clicking on the icons produces no response. I see however the Brave process as background task running at some fraction of the CPU time. If I terminate the process, then I can re-open Brave again. But this is not the way it should work. I am using Versione 1.15.76 Chromium: 86.0.4240.111 (Build ufficiale) (a 64 bit). Thanks for any help.

Marco

2 Likes

Same here I noticed it started to completely break down an hour ago.

well… now the issue is gone and it is working again…

Same problem, same time…

I have the same issue under Windows 32-Bit and 64-Bit.

Very often 2 or 3 subtasks (not the main task) are only finished 1-2 minutes later or not at all.
If such subtasks hang, you have to kill them first before you can restart the Bowser.

The problem has been around for several months.
Chromium and Chrome don’t have this problem.

It is always the ‘crashpad-handler’ and ‘service’ processes that are later terminated or hang.
brave proc

Run this URL
brave://settings/system

If “Continue running background apps when Brave is closed” is ON, turn it off, stop Brave and kill any lingering Brave process(es).

Then start Brave again.
Exit Brave
Attempt to start Brave - does it start up now?

Thanks for the fix.
The issue seemed to be gone, but just in case I’ve done as you suggested. Regards/Ciao