Brave does not delete favicons when told to delete all data

Brave does not delete favicons when told to delete all data. Apparently favicons are stored in a DB rather than “the” cache, and are never deleted unless a server provides a fresh copy. This behavior might be exploitable, and might be a privacy concern. As a developer this is a hassle when trying to test a web app/site from a “clean” state.

This is an issue with most browsers. Brave could stand out by providing users with an option to delete icons, and in general doing a better job of deleting all data when told to do so.

Chromium in general has issues with actually deleting all browsing data. Favicons are just one example. When as a user I say delete all history and downloaded data related to a website, I really do mean all data. As the industry learns again and again, data that hangs around will eventually be exploited by someone.

Yeah, in most cases users do not want their icons deleted. But it should be an option.

Name Version
Brave 0.19.134
rev 316cfa5
Muon 4.5.38
libchromiumcontent 63.0.3239.132
V8 6.3.292.49
Node.js 7.9.0
Update Channel Release
OS Platform Microsoft Windows
OS Release 10.0.16299
OS Architecture x64

This issue what discussed at the link below. I cannot tell from the thread whether it was forgotten, or people decided to not clean up favicons. Anyone?

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.