Brave Creator Question

Hello all I hope everyone is doing well.
New to the community, but not Brave.

I have a question regarding Brave Creators.
I understand we can NOT self tip. That is understandable.

However what about family tipping.

For instance, I’d like to tip my son my Brave rewards to his creator account. Is there anything wrong with this? I feel it should be just fine, but wanted to double-check first,.

Thank you, guys.

• LA

As far as every member of your family has its own device, there should be no trouble.

If devices are shared, for instance, if you have a profile for yourself and another for your child, then the system may trigger the flags, as it understands the tipping comes from the same device.

Question is, why would you want to tip your son if you can cash out your rewards and simply give him cash? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for the timely response, I appreciate your time.

No we have our own devices. He recently set me up on Brave, which has been an easy transition since I was already using Chrome.

“Question is, why would you want to tip your son if you can cash out your rewards and simply give him cash?”

– Well to answer this is simple, I don’t have a Gemini account, and don’t necessarily feel like making one. From your response, which is what I was hoping for and assumed. I can just tip his creator account and all is well. It is just easier for me to do this. Down the road maybe I will create a Gemini account.

Thank you for the response. :+1:

@OneilLA I will step in to make one addition/correction. Separate devices are one thing, but also IP. If it’s seeing a bunch of devices at one address and it’s all self tipping, it can be viewed as suspicious.

What typically can get in trouble will be the Creator’s account, which would face suspension. That said, Brave has been implementing changes which might help reduce this from happening. In the past, this would be flagged because Rewards would prevent people from verying with Uphold/Brave but the person would be able to connect a Creators. So what we had was people violating Terms by circumventing regional restrictions.

Brave recently has changed it to where Creators and Rewards share the same region restrictions. So if you’re in an unsupported region, you won’t be able to receive tips or cash out. This reduces the need for self tipping and hopefully won’t end up seeing it as suspicious. Regardless of the outcome though, I did want to advise that it CAN and HAS suspended Creators accounts for it.

That said, people tried making up stories like “my whole family added Brave and is just tipping because…” So while you may be sincere in what you’re mentioning, figured I’d just let you know it’s been an issue in the past. There can be a flag, particularly if you’re always tipping 100% of your earnings to just one person.

1 Like

Thank you for this additional information.
I can understand how difficult it must be for Brave team figuring out those that are out there to abuse the system, and those that are being genuine (like myself), even if they seem as though they aren’t.

My thoughts come up when you say about tipping 100% of your earnings to one person. I mean, I understand what you’re saying, and how this can be a possible issue. But the rewards earned are ours and shouldn’t we have the freedom to tip whom we please? I don’t feel like I should have to tip random people just to avoid this 100% tipping to a family member. I’d still be using Chrome if my son didn’t import and set up Brave identically to my Chrome setup. So I’m enjoying this, as it feels comfortable but I feel like the earned BATs I get should be allowed to be sent to his creator account, as they are mine to choose whom to tip. Otherwise I do what? Make a Gemini account and then send to him and lose some BATs to fees, right?
I guess I’ll have to think about it and see what works. I don’t mind creating Gemini, I’m not into crytpto but my son did sign me up for Coinbase and put a $100 in for me to start things last year.

My confusion starts popping up when I think of things like a household of 3 people using brave (obviously on the same WIFI). I don’t know much of anything about IP addresses but I’d assume they should be different if on a different PC/phone/device, etc, correct?

Back to your first sentence - “If it’s seeing a bunch of devices at one address and it’s all self tipping, it can be viewed as suspicious.” So you’re saying for instance there is a household of 3-5 people all using Brave, be it on all there own personal devices, PC/phone, etc. And no one is verifying with Gemini or Uphold, but instead just making a creator accounts and Person A tips creator account for Person B, and thus forth? This I don’t agree with either, and looks extremely suspicious. The only thing I can think of is there an age limit for Gemini/Uphold, and earning BATs? Other than age, at least 2 of those 3-5 if not more should be using the Ad system the way it was intended for With 1 of the 2 exchanges.
So yea I understand more what you are saying now, thank you.

Now back to myself, I don’t see an issue tipping my son 100%. But if it really will cause suspicions and possible flagging, I will just create Gemini or Uphold account and bypass any thoughts that I’m being suspicious. I’m just a Mama Bear wanting to give to her cub, hah.

I have a few more questions:
We are allowed to share a PC and have our own accounts connected correct? Say we have a shared PC (which we don’t, just trying to wrap my head around all of this)… It has a “dual boot” system. One uses Windows, and the other uses Lniux. I don’t see any issues with this shared PC. I mean you can’t be on both at the same time. One can be connected using Gemini/Uphold connected on the Windows boot, and the other user the same but Linux. NO issues with this type of setup, right?

I’ve been reading how VPNs aren’t allowed, which is sort of a bummer, but Ad-wise it makes complete sense.
So my question, and apologies if it has been asked already somewhere in the community. What if we were to use VPN, BUT only connect it to the state I’m in? Like say I’m in the United States in Boston. Can I connect my VPN to “United States - Boston”? I remember on my old VPN it did have an option so “United States - Boston:”. Personally I don’t see any issues with this. You still get the VPN benefits while not deceiving Brave by staying connected to the State you are in. Is this acceptable?

Sorry for the very long post, but just thinking it all out so I understand better.
Like say for instance as a family we are watching a movie. My son has his laptop and I want to pop on the PC and sign into this community to type out, say, this question. It being on the PC for all of 20 minutes. Do I really need to use Chrome or Firefox or something else instead of just using his Brave Browser? I don’t consider this short usage as “sharing”, even though that exactly technically what is going on, My son is sharing his PC with me so I can hop on here, check my e-mail, and things such as this. If I was spending significant hours and amount of time, then yes it’'s absolutely wrong. But what else is the option? creating a profile for myself on Brave Browser? I almost feel this looks more suspicious no matter what I do what the earned Ads.ost, but just thinking it all out so I understand better.
Like say for instance as a family we are watching a movie. My son has his laptop and I want to pop on the PC and sign into this community to type out, say, this question. It being on the PC for all of 20 minutes. Do I really need to use Chrome or Firefox or something else instead of just using his Brave Browser? I don’t consider this short usage as “sharing”, even though that exactly technically what is going on, My son is sharing his PC with me so I can hop on here, ch If I tip my son from a profile on his PC, it could look as though my son was spending time on the profile as me. And If I connect y Gemini, there’s another “device” I have added and I don’t want to go crazy connecting devices, as I really only have my personal PC and my Cellular phone.

Thank you for reading this and helping me to understand things better! I figured I’d get it all out in one post instead of asking a bunch of questions and just getting confused. This will be able to allow me to make my choice about just making a Gemini/Uphold account, opposed to “100% tipping to single family member”.
I was convinced to switch over to Brave due to all the privacy and Ad-blocking built on-top of a familiar format I’m already comfortable with.

Is it really considered self-tipping if I tip my son 100% of my Brave earnings to his creator account each month?
The only way I see this as an issue is this…
I tip my sons creator account.
I make a creator account and my son tips me.
Now that is wrong! and is the very definition of “self-tipping”. This is abusing the system by going around the no self-tip rule by having person a tip b and b tip a.
That is wrong and I can see this happening and ruining things for sincere persons like myself who just want to give back to my son. Ok, I think I got everything on my mind out. I know it’s a lot. but the answers will greatly benefit myself, and hopefully others!

Let me clarify a bit more, though I kind of touched on it. We had situations where Brave might have said, “Philippines is no longer supported for Rewards.” In this situation, people weren’t able to withdraw the BAT they earned. This was done because there was a lot of fraud going on and Brave, Gemini, and Uphold all made the decision to prevent Rewards from connecting.

As a result, some noticed that, “They didn’t block Creators. I can tip myself!” From there, people went to circumvent the restrictions to tip themselves. Of course, we’re not just talking about your normal Users either. We’re talking people running 5-10 (up to hundreds) of devices. Many of those devices which they automated or had bots on to open tabs on a regular basis to generate NTP ads and all, maximizing potential earnings.

It’s this type of behavior that Brave is having to combat. Which it seems you acknowledged and agree with, saying it’s ridiculous.

Correct, no issues at all. I didn’t ever say it was. Main thing is I was saying it will follow common sense. If you’re going to have tons of devices (such as I mentioned above) and they all tip just one person, that’s not natural behavior. You have 1-3 devices that are being used casually, of which you may tip all your earnings, it’s good.

Of course, there’s common sense. If you’re actively on the device 24/7 and all devices are basically getting the “maximum earnings” every day, then you’re likely to be noticed because that’s not natural in any way.

Ok, let me submit this then do a new reply to your questions. Sorry I kind of repeated myself here, but figured I’d touch on it again.

I think it’s valid. Except you’re trying to cheat the rewards.

Not really. When I talk of IP address it’s the one that goes to your modem/router. Everyone at your home that’s using the internet will all have the same IP address. (Yes, can be overly technical to say some differences, but let’s just keep it simple)

Honestly, this probably is better for the two of you anyway, unless you’re worried about the taxes by it going to you. But all tips being sent from you to your son are getting 5% taken out of it. That can add up to be a decent amount. Getting it sent directly to Uphold/Gemini and withdrawing directly will let you have that. Keep in mind, you may not even need to create an account yourself. You could link to his Gemini or Uphold and let him get 100% of the payouts, if you’d both be comfortable with it.

Correct, no issues on sharing a PC. You can even create different browser profiles and it wouldn’t be a problem. It’s just unusual/impractical usage that will flag.

This is a gray area, to be honest. It can be a leading contributing factor but using a VPN itself is not enough to get you flagged. Kind of how I mentioned the system looks for irregular activity, it’s going to piece together things like, “You live in India but you’re always showing like you’re in the United States. Using a USA node would be worse service, there’s no need for it it. It would make sense if you did it to watch Netflix and then disconnect, but why are you only using USA IP address? You must be trying to access USA ads because they pay better. FLAGGED!”:

Obviously a lot more to it and maybe a bad example, but it really is after logic. Especially important to keep in mind here is that Brave Ads (Rewards) are a big part of how Brave and Users earn money. Advertisers pay to target specific regions. So it does come down to trying to offer some stability to that and making sure we’re not screwing brave or the advertisers.

Yes, this is recommended. You get best performance and it works exactly for Brave, as you’ll still be showing general area for ads but you’re hiding your specific info from people.

You’re good. I tend to do long stuff too. I’m trying hard to answer shorter but it’s not easy. lol.

@Saoiray you are amazing!
This answered a lot of questions I’ve had as well.
appreciate the time and info

1 Like

This helps making things more apparent, thank you.

Not worried about taxes, no. But something I didn’t consider.

1 Like

You also pay fees for using the creators account. Brave charges 5% of all tips.

If your son has a Gemini account and you live in the same household, did you consider connecting your device to his Gemini account? This way all rewards earnt in your device go to his account.

1 Like

Interesting.
Thank you.
IT’s nice to have the options.
I will most likely create Gemini though.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.