Brave crashes when opening links in Big Sur

Description of the issue: When Brave is set as the default browser, opening links from external apps crashes Brave
How can this issue be reproduced?

(Brave must be set to default browser)

1. Make sure Brave is fully shut down
  2. Open Apple Mail
  3. Click a hyperlink in an email
  4. Brave will crash immediately

Expected result: Brave will open and display the hyperlink in a new window

Brave Version: 1.14.84

Additional Information: I’ve had this issue since loading the Big Sur beta 7 on my Macbook

Hello @dmlw, Welcome to Community!
Does this happen with all apps. Or just Apple Mail?
e.g. if you open the notes app, and type google.com, does Brave crash just the same?

Yes, I just tried it and can confirm it’s not just mail. Doesn’t work coming from Messages, Notes, or Calendar.

Do you have any extensions installed with Brave?

Yes, attached

Can you try disabling/uninstalling all of your extensions? If that solves the problem, the next steps would be to enable each extension one by one, and seeing which one causes the issue.

Disabled and uninstalled every extensions, fully shut down the computer. Issue persists

Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration
After disabling, quit and restart Brave

I’ve had that setting off since I downloaded Brave :grimacing:

@dmlw,
Okay! Can you try enabling it? (yeah that sounds weird, but lets try it!)

It seems to be working normally now! I was able to open this webpage from Apple Mail.

Can I leave this setting on without any negative effects?

Yeah, it should all be fine. Let us know if you have any issues in the future.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.