Brave Crashes immediately after start up - after updating Mac OS

Description of the issue:
I recently updated MacOS to Sonoma 14.4.1 on my iMac
I hadn’t noticed any issues until this morning. Upon launching the browser, it hangs, I see spinning beach-ball and then it closes. I can’t get it to stay open.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
I downloaded and reinstalled the browser. Still broken.
Restarted computer. Still broken.

Reproduces how often:
Constantly this morning. Unable to get it to load. Was working last time I used it. No updates or changes to computer as far as I know.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
macOS Sonoma 14.4.1
Most current (I assume, since I can’t get it to open.)

Additional Information:
On my MacBook Pro laptop, running the same OS, it’s not crashing. MacBook is running Brave version 1.64.122 Chromium 123.06312.122

Does installing Brave Beta or Nightly work?

I don’t know how to do that. Where can I find Brave beta? And what is Nightly?

Do you see any crash logs for Brave in the Console ?

None. And nothing in the system log that I can see.

The brave app launches, then, about 5 seconds in, it freezes and shuts down. And this isn’t showing in the crash log. It’s almost like it’s trying to load something and that’s causing the crash. But I can’t get in there fast enough to make any changes.

Thanks for the console reminder. It’s been ages since I’ve had to debug.

Update: I downloaded Brave Beta. It’s working perfect.

Something must have corrupted the app. Not sure what (which bothers me). But at least I’m up and running again.

There’s a freeware uninstall utility for Mac called AppCleaner. It removes more than just dragging the app to the Trash. Might try it on the stable version of Brave and then re-install.

I dont think the app is corrupted… i suspect that an extension or web site could be the cause. For diagnostic purposes, you could launch with extensions disabled from Terminal like this:

open -a "Brave Browser.app" --args --disable-extensions

Or force incognito mode like this:

open -a "Brave Browser.app" --args --incognito

Dont be too quick to purge the app and browsing history: if you can isolate the cause, the bug can be fixed so the issue does not reoccur.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.