Brave constantly uploading to and downloading from cyptocompare.com and infura.io

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

Just start Brave with a blank page and it would start uploading to and downloading from both cyptocompare.com and infura.io constantly. No amount of restart can stop it.

Expected result:
Not connecting to any website that I did not tell you to connect to?

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.5.112 Chromium: 80.0.3987.132 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Someone posted this on reddit a month ago but there seems to be no updates to the situation.

I don’t think I have ever navigated to brave://wallet until I noticed the weird connections and I found that thread.

1 Like

Those are probably just API calls – tagging @ryanml to confirm :slight_smile:

Thanks, hope to hear back soon!

Up

@ryanml :slight_smile:

Any news?

Post must be at least 20 characters

Will ping back the team for an update; sorry we missed ya!

Hey kg3,

So, these pings are a normal part of the Crypto Wallets feature – have you used it/enabled it?

Hi Asad,

I have not enabled the Crypto Wallet, I have only enabled the Brave Rewards Wallet.

Hi; I’ve been seeing these unproxied requests in my outgoing firewall on all three of my macOS installs (two computers, three user accounts), for some time now. I’ve been blocking them for now.

I use a half dozen Brave profiles for different tasks, and in all of them, I’ve disabled Brave rewards, Binance, IPFS, I’ve only ever visited brave://wallet/ before immediately closing that tab. I keep the photo backgrounds enabled, and in a single profile, the sponsored images.

May 24 20:44:16 unbound[pid:0] query: api.infura.io. A IN
May 24 20:44:16 unbound[pid:0] reply: api.infura.io. A IN NOERROR 0.000000 1 136
May 24 20:44:16 unbound[pid:0] query: mainnet-infura.brave.com. A IN
May 24 20:44:16 unbound[pid:0] reply: mainnet-infura.brave.com. A IN NOERROR 0.000000 1 88
May 24 20:44:16 unbound[pid:0] query: min-api.cryptocompare.com. A IN
May 24 20:44:16 unbound[pid:0] reply: min-api.cryptocompare.com. A IN NOERROR 0.000000 1 93
May 24 20:44:44 unbound[pid:0] query: hfq2h9152m63.statuspage.io. A IN
May 24 20:44:44 unbound[pid:0] reply: hfq2h9152m63.statuspage.io. A IN NOERROR 0.000000 1 88

I had never seen mainnet-infura.brave.com until I started rummaging around the builtin extensions today, and found odbfpeeihdkbihmopkbjmoonfanlbfcl, containing some files with “log” related names. After quitting Brave and backing up my settings I deleted that folder in all my profiles, and upon restarting Brave, I suddenly started seeing mainnet-infura.brave.com in addition to the unproxied Infura API, the Infura status page, and the CryptoCompare API. I even tried disabling sponsored images on the single profile, but through it at first appeared to have stemmed the flow, the requests continue.

Version 1.9.72 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.