Brave clogging vscode source control

**Visual Studio Code source control (git) is clogged with ‘untracked’ file warnings (5000+) from the Brave cache. I tried git ignore and outright deleting them, but they won’t go away. **

How can this issue be reproduced?

1.Simply open any folder in vscode and you will see them.

**Expected result: crazy amounts of untracked files in source control.brave_issue_vscode

**Brave Version( check About Brave): [
Version 1.21.76 Chromium: 89.0.4389.86 (Official Build) (64-bit)

**Additional Information: It needs fixing and why would Brave be in source control for vscode anyway?

@storyloops,
Can you tell me what specific Linux distribution you’re using?

Elementary OS 5.1.7 Hera
Built on Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
Linux 5.4.0-66 generic
GTK 3.22.30

I can’t comment on the VSCode-specific parts since I don’t use that editor, but the fact that the Brave cache directory shows up as untracked files suggests to me that you are tracking your entire home directory in git.

What does the following return?

cd ~
git status

And is it any different if you put the following in ~/.gitignore?:

/.cache
1 Like

Thanks. You are definitely in the zone with this issue. Almost everything is tracked. I’m not sure how it happened, except new vscode install and wasn’t paying attention - i.e. clicking through something, but just looking at the scope it will take some time. I will let you know before issue expiry.

This issue is fixed. It was a Git issue not a Brave issue. Thanks. The solution was find the offending folder and run $ rm -rf .git .
That simple. lesson learned: ‘Don’t drink and code!’

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.