Brave "can't open file" (downloaded app) on Android

After using Brave to download an apk from apk mirror, clicking on the file in Brave’s Download page results in the message “can’t open file”, when I expect it to start the installation of the apk file. The built-in browser can do this ok, so I expected Brave to be able to too.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1.download an apk from apkmirror
2.attempt to open it so to install

Expected result:
Installation process is starteed

Brave Version( check About Brave):

1. 0

Mobile Device details
Huawei Mate 30 Pro

Additional Information:

I’m not sure about settings on Huawei phone. But on my end, I need to grant permissions for Brave to be able to run APK under Settings > Manage Apps > Brave > Install apps from unknown sources. Maybe you can find similar setting on your device.

Same problem. Not just apk mirror, I can name a few sites. Everything gets downloaded but when I try to open them, it says “can’t open file”. Also, the downloaded files are not available in my internal or external storage either.

Edit: After granting unknown source permission, it works.

Initially, I couldn’t find such a setting, but when I searched for it, I found it, but brave already had permission… I toggled it but it still failed to open the file. Do I have to download the files again?

I should also point out that I have enabled the option to always ask where to save files, but it never asks.

The “sharing” icon on the downloads page also does nothing :frowning:

@davidmaxwaterman What device are you running? What Android version are you using? Does it work with Chrome on your device esp the share option.

Huawei Mate 30 Pro 5G 512
Works with chrome (though I had to use the built-in browser to install chrome). Not sure about the “share feature”.

Does no one have any suggestions on how to get Brave to install downloaded files?

I have the same problem on an Android 9 device. Any file downloaded cannot be opened from the download tab. It works on an Android 5 device though.

Yes, I’m finding myself switching back to Chrome…this is simply too inconvenient. Bye bye Brave…it was nice knowing you.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.