Brave cannot load webpages when "nProtect GameGuard" is running

Description of the issue:
When nProtect GameGuard is running, Brave cannot load any webpages.
Instead, a blank page is displayed. The favicon shows a folder with a sad face. Mousing over it shows the text “Crashed.”
Even brave://help does not work when nProtect GameGuard is running.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Try to use Brave when nProtect GameGuard is running. In my case I’m playing “Phantasy Star Online 2”, which uses nProtect GameGuard.
It doesn’t matter if Brave is running before nProtect GameGuard, or if Brave is started after. The end result is the same.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
I don’t think that’s necessary in this case. If you would like a screenshot, I will provide one.

Expected result:
It’s expected that Brave will continue to load websites normally.

Reproduces how often:
Reproducible every time.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 Home 10.0.18363 Build 18363
Brave 1.9.80

Additional Information:
Firefox and Chrome work.

Hi there

I believe this is an issue with nProtect GameGuard. I am not sure how to report a bug though- I went to their website: https://nprotect.com/kr/index.html and it’s all in Korean

They’re likely blocking access to this app as it’s not recognized. Do you know if there’s another way to report the bug to them?

1 Like

Unfortunately their official solution is to close any program that is incompatible with nProtect GameGuard.
I’m sure you’re right; it’s a GameGuard issue. But other browsers are not affected, and since nProtect doesn’t care, I figured I’d raise the issue to Brave so your company can at least be informed.

For what it’s worth, nProtect doesn’t blacklist programs specifically (except for deliberate game hacking software). Brave must be doing something in a manner that is causing browsing functionality to be blocked.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.