Brave Cache being flagged as Adware by Windows Defender

Description of the issue: Brave Cache being flagged as Adware by Windows Defender

How can this issue be reproduced?

It happens every once in a while, last time it happened was 2 weeks ago, but it only started after I turned on the Brave Rewards ads, which makes me think that Windows Defender thinks that Brave delivers an Adware.

Expected result: This shouldn’t happen at all, I’m not sure if the problem is on Windows Defender or on Brave browser, but I’ve seen some people complaining about the same.

Brave Version( check About Brave): Version 1.0.1 Chromium: 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Info: I don’t get any invasive ads, don’t have any extensions on Brave nor get redirected to any sites, which makes me think that I don’t really have an Adware installed on my computer. I ran AdwCleaner too and it didn’t detect anything. It’s just annoying to get virus notifications from Windows Defender almost every week.

@carras,
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. This is an issue we’ve had before that we assumed has been resolved. Would you mind confirming for me that you downloaded Brave from the official website?

@Mattches Yes, always from brave.com

Thanks for confirming – will get back to you when I have more information.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.