Brave browser will not load on my wife's Macbook Air

Computer is 13 in early 2015. Has latest OS 11.6
When attempting to load Brave, the icon just bounces, and finally stops. Never loads, although some remnant of it stays because to reboot, it requires a Force Quit to remove Brave.

Welcome, @wBann. As @Mattches will confirm, my answers can be long and maybe too detailed, but please bear with me.

I have a MacBook Air 13" 2015 running 11.6. I use the Nightly edition of Brave, which runs fine, and downloaded Release version to test. It’s running fine, but systems vary, so could you confirm the Brave version by going to Applications, right-clicking or control-clicking Brave, and selecting “Get Info,” then copy the version information and post in a reply?

It will look something like this:
The version there blends what going to URL brave://version reports, the "94" coming from the Chromium version and replacing "1" in the Brave version:
Brave: 1.30.89 Chromium: 94.0.4606.81 (Official Build) (x86_64)
| --- | --- |
Revision: 5a03c5f1033171d5ee1671d219a59e29cf75e054-refs/branch-heads/4606@{#1320}

In the meantime, here are some ideas/questions:

1. When launching Brave for the first time, do you recall whether you/she were prompted to allow Brave to use confidential information in “Brave Safe Storage?” It’s best to click “Always Allow” at that prompt, and it might prompt again if that wasn’t done.
  2. Check System Preferences → Privacy & Security, Privacy tab for Brave permissions in the following areas. I granted these months ago then switched to Nightly and removed Release, so I don’t remember which were bare bones, but I have entries in:
    • Location Serivces (unchecked)
    • Camera (checked so I can do video on calls/meetings)
    • Microphone (checked so I can do audio on calls/meetings)
    • Accessibility (checked and I don’t remember why but I had a good reason at the time)
    • Files and Folders - Downloads Folder (checked, because, Downloads)
  3. If none of that does the trick you might download the image directly from the Releases page on github (last four words hotlinked to page; this is a direct link to the dmg).
  4. If that still doesn’t do it, then we may have conflicting software or something and please report back with results. If Brave runs but has some kind other issue, there are still more things to try.

Note: I tried running from the disk image and was prompted to install on the machine proper, so kudos to Brave devs/Apple/whoever caused that to happen.

1 Like

I added Brave to Accessibility in the Privacy tab and it launches! :slight_smile:
BTW, it’s the same version as you print screened below.

Think that did it.

Thanks for your help!
Bill Bannister

hnktong Community Ninja
October 15

Welcome, @wBann. As @Mattches will confirm, my answers can be long and maybe too detailed, but please bear with me.

I have a MacBook Air 13" 2015 running 11.6. I use the Nightly edition of Brave, which runs fine, and downloaded Release version to test. It’s running fine, but systems vary, so could you confirm the Brave version by going to Applications, right-clicking or control-clicking Brave, and selecting “Get Info,” then copy the version information and post in a reply?

It will look something like this:
The version there blends what going to URL brave://version reports, the “94” coming from the Chromium version and replacing “1” in the Brave version:
Brave: 1.30.89 Chromium: 94.0.4606.81 (Official Build) (x86_64)
| --- | --- |
Revision: 5a03c5f1033171d5ee1671d219a59e29cf75e054-refs/branch-heads/4606@{#1320}

In the meantime, here are some ideas/questions:

1. When launching Brave for the first time, do you recall whether you/she were prompted to allow Brave to use confidential information in “Brave Safe Storage?” It’s best to click “Always Allow” at that prompt, and it might prompt again if that wasn’t done.
  2. Check System Preferences → Privacy & Security, Privacy tab for Brave permissions in the following areas. I granted these months ago then switched to Nightly and removed Release, so I don’t remember which were bare bones, but I have entries in:
    • Location Serivces (unchecked)
    • Camera (checked so I can do video on calls/meetings)
    • Microphone (checked so I can do audio on calls/meetings)
    • Accessibility (checked and I don’t remember why but I had a good reason at the time)
    • Files and Folders - Downloads Folder (checked, because, Downloads)
  3. If none of that does the trick you might download the image directly from the Releases page on github (last four words hotlinked to page; this is a direct link to the dmg).
  4. If that still doesn’t do it, then we may have conflicting software or something and please report back with results. If Brave runs but has some kind other issue, there are still more things to try.

Note: I tried running from the disk image and was prompted to install on the machine proper, so kudos to Brave devs/Apple/whoever caused that to happen.

2 Likes

Excellent news! And you’re very welcome.

Hnk

1 Like

Excellent work @hnktong and @wBann! Love to see the Community taking care of itself!

1 Like