Brave Browser uses wrong GPU

I’m on a laptop with Nvidia Optimus, and Brave seems to be using GPU 1 for all tasks (the discrete GPU) rather than using GPU 0 (integrated GPU). This is despite using the NVidia control panel to select the integrated GPU instead of the discrete GPU. (By default, NVidia control panel wants to run Brave using the Integrated GPU.)

This can lead to unnecessary copying and GPU usage as GPU 1 isn’t connected to the laptop screen, so pixels need to be copied in and out of GPU memory for GPU 0 to display them.

How can this issue be reproduced?
Happens immediately on startup.

Expected result:
Should obey settings from the NVidia control panel and use the integrated GPU, or have an option to select which GPU to use.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.9.80

Additional Information:
GPU: NVidia GTX 960M

1 Like

I’m having the same issue. It started about a week ago. Brave won’t obey NVIDIA control panel settings. Any help would be appreciated.

I read that disabling hardware acceleration in Brave settings could stop the gpu from running when using Brave. I tried it on my laptop (Nvidia MX 150) and the gpu doesnt run when i launch Brave now. maybe you could give that a shot?

Can confirm this behavior on 1.10.97 (Chrome 83.1.10.97). Brave does not obey binding to GPU 0 if hardware acceleration is enabled.