Brave browser unexpectedly quits

I recently made the decision to transition completely to using Brave as my default browser on my desktop computer. I had checked that my basic requirements were met by the application, which are ad-blocking, LastPass plugin, Xmarks plugin (not implemented yet), and the ability to pin tabs. Today I started the process of formally moving from my existing default of Google Chromium to Brave, the first step of which is to pin the 37 tabs I currently have pinned in Google Chromium (I intend for this number to reduce over the next couple of months). Shortly after starting this process, Brave suddenly stopped running. This has happened 3 times so far this morning.

The first time it occurred, I had alt-tabbed to chromium-browser to copy the URL for one of my pinned tabs.

The second time it occurred, I had started gnome-system-monitor in order to find the process name for Brave browser in order to use Ubuntu’s bug-reporting tool to report a bug (and discovered that it is not the way to report bugs for Brave).

The third time it occurred, I can’t remember the circumstances.

C. A listing of:
i. Your Operating System and version (Mac 10.11.x, Windows 7/8/10, Linux distribution, iOS 9/10, Android)

Description: Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Release: 16.04

ii. Your Brave Version. (Desktop users please copy info from about:brave using the clipboard if possible)

Brave: 0.12.8
Electron: 1.4.23
libchromiumcontent: 53.0.2785.143
V8: 5.3.332.47
Node.js: 6.5.0
Update Channel: dev

This software uses libraries from the FFmpeg project under the LGPLv2.1

D. Detailed step-by-step instructions of how you came across the issue.

i. Start Brave browser
ii. Commence using Brave browser
iii. Start loading sites and pinning tabs
iv. Brave browser application suddenly stops running

Newly installed latest version of Brave browser won't start

Hi, it seems that the Brave’s version on your computer is too old. would you mind updating to the latest one and give it a shot? :slight_smile:

You can download the latest binary here: https://brave.com/
Please click the download button and install it.

Best,

I tried

Hamburger menu > Help > Check for Updates…

before reporting the issue.

It sounds like that also needs to be fixed.

That menu item was hidden on linux distros since 0.14.0, which is why you have that submenu item yet.

https://github.com/brave/browser-laptop/issues/7529

Best,