Brave Browser taking too much space in iOS16.3

Thanks. Next steps for us is investigating whether we do anything specific in “tmp” folder in our app.
Then we will try to clear its data at every fresh app launch and see if the app does not misbehave.
I hope we can have a fix in version 1.50 which is scheduled for April

1 Like

Hi! I am facing the same issue, the app documents size is almost 5GB. I do not have any file in downloads and most of it is in the Temp folder

1 Like

Do you also tend to use Private a lot? On my iPhone I’m currently as you see in screenshot below:

Guess other thing I’m kind of curious of: What is the primary web activity you do on your browser?

For me, I read a lot of manga/manhwa. Beyond that do random searches and occasional YouTube videos. Typically I don’t ever download anything on my phone and haven’t ever used Private Mode as haven’t had any need to.

Hey, I usually do random search and close the tab after that, I don’t download anything nor watch any videos. As for incognito, I only use it for searching something to buy that I don’t want someone to know

Hi Michal! Any news on this topic? Sorry for asking but it is almost 6Gb now😅

Yes! So today we upload a public beta build with a potential fix for this.
If there’s no crashes or anything weird it will be shipped to users in version 1.50, later this month.

1 Like

@michal
FYI: Running 1.49.1. For a week or so size is not growing anymore. Stays around 370 MB.

2 Likes

Thanks.
The proper fix is in 1.50, it will attempt to clean temp directory aboev certain threshold.
It may be related with webkit or iOS versions, hard to know what is the root cause really

1 Like

@michal
Hi, will it be updated to 1.50 any day now, or is there som trouble? It’s the end of the month now. :nerd_face::innocent:

Early next week hopefully :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It’s out, please give it a try and let us know

I downloaded the 1.50 yesterday…I see some reduction in size and there is also no temp folder when i checked the app size info…

Hopefully there are no other issues…but this will be tried it out in the coming days…

Setup: iPhone, iOS 16.4.1, Brave 1.50
Library(421.6 MB)
Caches(7.2 MB)
com.apple.dyld(1.1 MB)
com.hackemist.SDImageCache(2.5 MB)
default(2.5 MB)
com.brave.ios.browser(2.5 MB)
WebKit(5.7 MB)
ContentRuleLists(5.1 MB)
HTTPStorages(1 MB)
com.brave.ios.browser(1 MB)
Application Support(407.3 MB)
ledger(44.4 MB)
Playlist(345.1 MB)
cmf-data(3.4 MB)
Chromium(12.7 MB)
BraveWallet(6.9 MB)
cffkpbalmllkdoenhmdmpbkajipdjfam(3.8 MB)

Thanks for checking. This sounds about right.
So your instance has 345MB of playlist data, rest(~70MB) is the Brave app size.

We added a threshold so if the app size grows too big we attempt to clear some temporary files

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.